Part 41 (Betrothed)

A couple days passed while Loki trained me in magic. Without the blocker, I had yet to find something I didn't take to rather quickly.

He had taught me more illusions, including creating one of myself, though it was nowhere near as good as his, more healing magic, and even some basic self defense.

I could pick and choose when I wanted my magic to damage rather than heal, but it was a conscious decision, a forced one almost. Using magic to hurt someone felt more strenuous to me than healing magic, it felt like a different magic all together, but Loki said it'd be better with practice.

On that specific day Loki took me to the healing wing after his mother wasn't in her chambers. He went inside to speak with her while I waited in the hall, leaned against the wall with my book in my hand. I was flipping through the pages when I heard rushing, and looked up to see an older woman tugging a child alongside her. I recognized Gerda immediately, but hadn't seen the boy previously.

He cried, screaming about not wanting to be touched while she scolded him in a whisper.

"You two okay?" I asked, closing my book and leaning off the wall. The boy turned to face me, and that's when I saw the large gash spreading across his nose.

"Hello, Lady Eirdottir. We are alright; my son had an accident while training."

Training? He seemed young to be training in anything, hardly of school age to Earth's standards. Thor did say he started warrior training as a child, though. I guess I just hadn't realized how early that truly meant.

"Mother, please leave it. She's going to touch it!" The boy cried again, attempting to tug back his arm in a frenzy. He succeeded, making me frown before I knelt down.

"Hey, little one. I won't touch anything." I said with a smile. "Just calm down... Do you want to see a trick?"

Gerda didn't interfere as I spoke with the boy, but I couldn't tell if it was because of who I was, or if it was because the boy had calmed as I spoke to him, nodding slightly at my question.

I held out my palm, allowing the illusion of a gorgeous gold dove to take form in my hand. The boy smiled at the image, before I made it fly around a second.

"Hold out your hand." I whispered with a grin. The boy happily did so, watching in awe as the dove landed on his hand. "Now, hold him close to your face."

The boy seemed confused though the smile stayed on his face and he followed instructions, bringing his hand close enough to his face that a simple lean of the dove pressed it to his nose. A couple seconds of nuzzling later, the boy's nose was free of the gash, only having blood left to be cleaned off.

"Feel better?" I asked, dissolving the illusion.

The boy grinned, and Gerda profusely began to thank me, likely having been afraid her son was going to embarrass her in front of the queen.

"Gerald, tell her thank you." Gerda demanded of her son.

"Thank you, lady." He said shyly now. "My sincerest apologies for my outburst." He seemed embarrassed himself, likely being taught that such emotions weren't acceptable where others could view them.

"You are very welcome, Gerald." I said with a bit of a laugh, before kneeling down and whispering just loud enough for him to hear. "And if it makes you feel better, I've seen Prince Thor have several similar outbursts. No warrior likes being injured in battle, and that's nothing to be ashamed of."

He giggled at that, his grin not leaving his face even after Gerda put her hands on his shoulders, preparing to take him back.

"Thank you again... Dani."