Part 108 (Shadow)

The soft fabric moved with my hand as I walked into the dimly lit tent, the feeling now like a strong high to me as it settled against my bones.

"Hello?" I called out softly, only seeing a slight shadow against the dim flame of the candles.

I didn't trust the tent, the way it had so many crevices and rooms, all built from the same dark fabrics and closed off from my view.

I took another step, then another, before I could make sense of what I was seeing. A table with teacups sat in the middle of the room, only a single candle on the table that flickered about as I stared at it.

I wanted more light, I wanted to be able to see. Just as those thoughts, those desires, entered my brain the flame on the table, as well as the ones around the room, grew in height. Almost absurdly the way they stood tall, only offering a brighter glow to the tent.

"Hello?" I called again, only this time I felt the presence.

It felt familiar, but the rage that morphed alongside it made goosebumps form on my skin.

"Who's there?" I asked softly now, closing my eyes as the presence seemed to continue morphing and forming around me.

"How have the gods deceived me in such ways? Freyr must grow desperate, attempting to use the likeness of my child against me." I heard the rumble of the voice state.

That made my eyes snap open, turning around to face the voice. When I did, I wasn't sure what exactly I was expecting, but it most definitely wasn't what I saw.

Magic, I knew, but the kind evaded my knowledge. He wasn't a person, no. He was... A shadow? Not even quite that. His form seemed to evade my eyes, not allowing my brain to register or make sense of the mass in front of me.

"I am Dagny, daughter of Eir and Fafnir." I said quietly. "House Freyr has asked I come speak with the Ylfing leader, in hopes of coming to an agreement."

In the flicker of a candle light, the mass was now in front of me, taking up the entirety of my sight. My breath continued to shake as the being reached a hand out, touching my arm like a jolt of electricity.

"I-..."

"Dagny." The rumbling voice said, softer than any of its previous statements. "My firefly."

"What is this?" My trembling voice managed to speak, though my only thoughts were how I could successfully reach the doorway of the tent.

"When I first felt your presence, I was sure I was mistaken." The voice was now a faint whisper as the shadow-like magic vanished, only to appear once again in the corner of the room. "I'd lost my connection to you, during the battle of the isle. I was certain you'd been killed."

"I-uh. I grew up on Midgard."

That earned a deep chuckle from the being, one which seemed to echo against the tent's fabric itself.

"Of course you did." He said softly. "That was always her last plan, Midgard. A planet so thoroughly populated, it'd be difficult to find a giant amongst the crowds."

I just stood there, stupidly staring at the figure before it sighed. "Sit down, firefly."

One step, two steps, then three as I made my way to the large table, sitting down with an uneasy breath.

"What is this?" I asked again. "What- Why are you like this?"

"Not now." He gruffed back. "You said Freyr sent you?"

"I... Well, Fjolnir came to Asgard and asked that I come here. That the Ylfings had sworn an oath to you, and that I could perhaps negotiate peace."

"Asgard? You reside on Asgard?" The comment was more a sneer as the mass moved around the room, coming into my sights again.

"I-"

"You're a dragon! Not a peasant to live under the Allfather's a-"

"Watch your tone." I wasn't sure where the courage came from, why my temper instantly seemed to flare and take control in the moment, but it did. "Do not disrespect my home or family."

"Family?"

I stared the figure down now, beginning to slowly make sense of facial features.

"I am Dagny Fafnirdottir, wife of Loki Odinson, princess and interm queen of Asgard." I spoke without a second of hesitation.

"Wife... Of an Odinson." He seemed almost stunned to say the words. "My daughter." As he seemed process this, his form continued to morph across the table from me. The pitch black magic, flickering with burgundy specks, continued to shift around. "Queen?"

"Interm queen." I corrected. "Not permanent. But that's not what I'm here for."

"They trust you, Freyr and Fjolnir. They trust you not to betray them." He scoffed. "Even after everything."

I furrowed my eyebrows at the makeshift smile that formed on the dim features I could see.

"I will send the wolves back to prove your loyalty to house Freyr. This was always a job for dragons, anyway."

"What do you mean?"

"Don't fret, firefly. We'll speak again soon. Do not tell anyone we've met this day."

"B-"

And just like that, the being disappeared, the feeling of his presence and the senses that came with it all vanishing from me. The only thing that seemed to linger was that rage, that twinge of irritation following me as I looked around the tent just to ensure he was truly gone.

I was left feeling so exhausted, like I could hardly plant my feet and push myself up from the chair I sat in.

Pulling the curtain back I was pleasantly greeted by the dim lights of the stars, thanking the norns it wasn't daytime as even the night sky was an adjustment for my eyes in comparison to the dark tent.

As I walked forward, the man who was once standing there was now ordering his men around as they feverishly removed the blockade. They made hurried work of doing so, packing their belongings at a quick pace.

When he noticed me, he rushed to my side, bowing before he did.

"My sincerest apologies for this disruption, høvdinginne. Allow me to escort you back to your guards." He offered his arm, but I refused to take it, instead forcing my feet forward.

"A little warning would've been nice." I growled as we walked. "What the fuck was that?"

"He hasn't been the same since the battle. Even the most beautiful of faces can become vile with enough turmoil."

"Elle!" Thor's voice was a booming roar as he stood from his seat, still looking angry as he approached me. "What happened? Why do you look that way?"

"What?"

"Tired."

"Because I'm tired, you oaf." I rolled my eyes. "I've been managing your brother's awful temper towards your father's dull-witted court, an entire healing wing full of incompetent ninnies who've been spoiled by your mother for centuries, and now the one day I managed to set aside even a moment for myself I've gotten sucked into this bullshit, for a king who's no more than a kitten sitting in a too high tree. Forgive me for being tired."

Even the look of shock on Thor's face didn't deter me from keeping my pace forward, nearly growling when the other warriors took a moment to get up from their seats on the ground.

"How'd it go?" Fjolnir was the first to greet me with.

I rolled my eyes, "They're leaving, Nir." I sighed. "Perhaps you should work towards adding more stability towards your kingdom, rather than requesting Asgardians at every inconvenience."

Fjolnir seemed shocked at my words, his eyebrows knitting together. "Are you alright? Did they hurt you?"

"I'm fine and no one hurt me." I groaned in frustration. "I am not glass; I am perfectly capable of handling my own affairs without need for questions, or supervision." I nearly boomed, looking between both Thor and Fjolnir.

"Of course, I didn't mean to offe-"

"Goodbye, Nir." I cut him off, not wanting to hear his tiresome rambling. After all, I was sure to get enough irritation from Loki upon my return.