Part 126 (Giants)

The giants were at the ocean's shore just as we had predicted, cornering themselves against the field we stood and the water. Many didn't look to be fighters at all, instead just larger, normal people. I could nearly pinpoint which of the group were warriors. Like miserable beings, they kept their heads tilted towards the ground and I could feel their troubled thoughts pricking against me.

I cleared my throat as I approached, leaving the army behind.

"I am Dagny Fafnirdottir, queen of Vanaheim." I spoke loudly.

They moved, parting as the largest of them moved forward. I instantly took in the crown, smaller skulls making up the front while longer, thinner bones made the base. I narrowed my eyes as he stopped several feet before me, a large piece of wood in his hand.

"Roald." Was all he stated.

It only took me a moment to formulate a plan, staring at the beings behind him. They held stony expressions, but their fear, both of us and Roald, was palpable in the air.

I cleared my throat. "Roald of the Giants is a poor leader. He forces you to follow him under fear and pain. I do not wish this for anyone, including you." I spoke loudly, looking up at the giant standing only feet in front of me as I felt his anger grow. "When I kill this vicious, pitiful man, I will give you a choice. You will swear to me, or you will choose your next in line. Your clan's days of pillaging, fighting, and killing are over, either way."

"Queen knows nothing." The large being stated. "Queen is nothing."

It was almost a blur, how quickly that large piece of wood slammed onto the ground. I hadn't even realized I was dodging it until I already had.

I shot a ball of magic at the attacker, hitting him and leaving a scorch right on his bicep.

"Annoying queen!" He slammed down again.

I growled as I felt the earth rumble beneath me, holding a hand up when the army attempted to approach.

I could do this, I was sure. Their intervention would only cost their lives, and lose any respect I could gain with the giants.

Another slam, another shot of magic. Another slam, another shot of magic. Another slam, but that one hit me, sending me flying backwards several feet before I landed on the dirt.

He was growing angrier, his hits shaking the earth more and more as he slammed both the wood and his bare fist around.

He was slow, though. Uncoordinated. He had no idea how to use his mass to his advantage passed the brute strength of it.

When he hit the ground again I did it, pushing as much magic as I possibly could into my hands and leaping up, hitting him square in his shoulders.

It sent him falling backwards to the ground, where I quickly climbed onto the giant's stomach, standing perfectly as I held still on his face.

My palm facing him, I began to close my fist, trying not to listen to the agonized screams coming from him as my fingertips touched my palm.

Then, his head burst. Just as Thanos' did, it popped against my closing hand, against the heat radiating from it, covering me entirely in his blood.

I looked down at myself for a moment, stunned at the way blood covered the entirety of my body, before I glanced back at the tribe.

They only stared.

"I offer you a choice." I repeated again. I waited a moment, waiting for any sign of acknowledgement.

"Queen." One stated.

"Queen."

"Queen. Queen. Queen." They began chanting. I took a deep breath, nodding.

"Are you alright? You took a nasty hit." Sigurd said as he approached, offering me his hand.

I took it, stepping off the giant with a deep breath. "Yeah, I think so."

Two smaller giants were first to approach me, and I had to physically call off the army behind me to allow it. I furrowed my brow as they still towered over me, their dirty faces covered in cuts and bruises, but they looked young. They looked... Child-like, still. Their grayish skin was less burdened, their faces holding no facial hair.

"For queen." One said in what I could only imagine was the softest his voice could go, holding out a single flower.

It was a rose, ivory in color. My heart melted at it, the sight of it reminding me of the matching flower in my dimensional pocket. I took it softly and smiled at the pair, before motioning for them to sit.

They seemed hesitant, but did.

I spent that entire evening showing the giants' children illusion tricks, healing wounds, and sending the army for food and fresh water from the palace.

Fafnir's presence was hard behind me when the troop returned, and I excused myself from the smiling children in front of me to speak with him.

I was surprised to not feel nearly as much of his usual rage when seen in person, instead more reminiscent of the content from my dreams. Even in his shadow form, he seemed to have more of his features. He smiled, even.

"I've never seen giants smile." He said softly. "I thought they simply didn't."

"Hope does wonderful things for people."

"You're covered in blood." He stated dryly.

"Yes, well... Loki never taught me cleaning spells." I responded.

A chuckle escaped the shadow's lips at that.

"You're doing so well, Dagny." He said softly. "I've never seen a dragon handle the loss of their chosen well."

"I..." I sighed. "I'm trying."

"Good. You must focus on the good, Firefly. It's what will keep you here the longest." He spoke seemingly from experience.

"Keep me here the longest?"

Fafnir sighed. "A dragon without their chosen is a broken creature, Dagny. I never wished such a tragic fate for you."

I felt my eyebrows furrow before realization hit me. "Your form..." I said quietly.

He only nodded.

"How long do I have, before..."

"That depends on you, firefly. It took me a decade to reach this form entirely. I have, perhaps, another decade in me before I'm gone.... Once the shadow starts, it spreads rapidly. So, our goal should be to accomplish as much as we can for our realm in the time we have. We must blaze a trail for those who follow."

All I could do was nod in response. I wasn't sure how to feel.

One part of me was terrified, not knowing how to handle such a process.

Another part of me was relieved, knowing I wouldn't be alive, missing Loki, for thousands of years.

The last part of me could only think of how little time I had to give the absolute best to my people. I had to set them up for success, otherwise another Freyr would take their place on the throne, and these people would be victim to the same greed and corruption that they'd been plagued with for centuries.

The least I could do in the time I had left was busy myself to make a difference.