Part 127 (The Team)

I had spent years pursuing the addition of strength to the realm and even beyond.

Jotunheim, I had heard, was nearly barren as the Jotunar died off to near extinction after the death of Laufey.

We had spent 2 full months trekking the cold wasteland, fighting off dire wolves, until we came across the last of them.

I had introduced myself immediately as the queen of Vanaheim and daughter of Fafnir, explaining how some Jotuns took up residency on the isle I grew up on. I offered them the entire isle for their peace and comfort, as well as privacy from the rest of Vanaheim should they want or need it. I wanted none of the property sitting upon it or the land itself.

Though they were suspicious, they eventually relented when I was asked about the king of Vanaheim.

It was difficult to discuss, obviously, but I explained in detail who Fjolnir was, naming both his parents and Auroboda as his grandmother, then proceeded to tell them of Loki. Though he was gone, I wanted it to be clear to them I had wed and wouldn't be doing so again.

They must've already known his secret, I assumed from his time in Jotunheim with Thor, because they were quick to agree after that. Their eyes told me they knew, their trust increasing towards me. After all, I had married into their blood. Their Royal blood, at that.

The next realm was muspelheim. I had to admit, I was incredibly unaware of Surtur's ruling methods. Slavery of his own kind wasn't quite what I had in mind, however.

Hundreds of them, though admittedly much smaller than Surtur himself.

It took a year of constant war before they were freed, and nearly 100 Vanir. The Jotunar couldn't step foot on Muspelheim, the heat being far too incapacitating for them, so only the Vanir could fight the war. The Muspelheimians bent the knee to me afterwards, though they chose to stay in the comforts of their realm.

In my free time, though it was always short and far spread, I found myself writing, detailing what was happening as well as setting instruction for those who come after me. I knew I needed to decide on an heir, but I couldn't for the life of me make that decision. In my writings I contemplated many, from the leader of the ylfings to the woodlings, but I think I already had made the decision somewhere within myself.

Eventually, I found myself detailing how I wanted the counsel to be, with Fandral as king. By no means did Fandral hold all the qualities of a king, but that made him perfect.

These people didn't need a typical ruler, just as I wasn't. They needed someone with both strength and compassion, someone who would show both repercussion and mercy. With a strong enough counsel, Fandral would have no issue being such, being another show of inspiration for the diverse people.

I was sitting on the throne during a court meeting when I first noticed the blackening of my fingertips, the way the gold shimmered within it. I ignored the detail until the end, only holding my hand up to examine it after the others had left.

"Its too soon." Fafnir stated frustratedly. "We've only just gotten the realms to peace."

"We knew this was coming eventually." I reminded him, sighing as I twirled my finger around to examine it further.

"Is there any way we can slow it?" Fandral asked. "I thought you said we'd have a decade?"

"I said I took a decade." Fafnir growled. "And, no. Once the shadow starts, it spreads quickly. She'll be shadowed within a week... Maybe a month at most."

"It's fine." I stated. "I've written what I want done with the realm when this is over."

"You being in that form does not make you any less the queen." Fandral seemed shocked, staring at me.