Part 75 (The Allfather)

Loki and I walked through the throne room together at a calm stride, though I could feel Loki's nerves bouncing around the room just as much as I felt them inside myself. He didn't know why we were here, making him nervous no matter how well he hid it.

I curtsied when we stopped, though Loki didn't bow.

"My children." Odin said to release me from my curtsy. It was a new way to refer to us, something I'd be more used to hearing when the Allfather spoke of Thor and Loki, but Thor was nowhere to be seen. Meaning he was including me.

"Allfather." I spoke with a small smile, trying my best to seem as confident and unbothered as possible.

"Freyr and I have come to an agreement." Odin began calmly. "This arrangement would be for one month's time, and would involve one of our healing leaders going to Vanaheim to train their healers."

"No." Loki stated abruptly, making Odin glare in his direction.

"This isn't a request, child." Odin grumbled. "We would supply you with your own guardsmen, house Freyr would supply you with all your needs, and they've offered to pay you quite generously for your assistance on top of the barter made to makeup for your absence."

I cleared my throat. I could see Loki's preparation to throw the most destructive of tantrums, meaning I had to speak quickly or prepare for the tantrum, and it's consequences.

"What are my responsibilities through this arrangement, Allfather?" I questioned.

There were several healers who had been in the healing wing far longer than me, and obviously the queen herself was far better suited to train healers than me. I couldn't help but wonder why I had been chosen.

"You'll offer structure and training to their healers, as well as stand at the queen's side when she comes for check ins. Once a week she will make a brief visit by bifrost, and it will be your duty to meet her with your guardsmen once there, as well as stay by her side throughout the visits."

Now I understood. I was chosen not only because of my knowledge of the healing wing, but to act as a guard for Frigga.

I had to say, it made sense in my mind. If Frigga had nothing but capable hands already awaiting her in Vanaheim, she'd be left invulnerable for the entirety of her trip back and forth. No one would be able to surprise the queen if her guardians were already there awaiting her, and it'd be quite the show of strength if one of those guards were a dragon. Odin chose me rather than one of the other ninnies because I could offer both help and safety for his beloved wife.

I turned to look at Loki, who's jaw was clenched beyond belief, but he also understood now why I was chosen. He glanced at me and his jaw shifted slightly side to side.

"When do I leave?"

Odin smiled as the words left my mouth. "3 days time."

"Father, you cannot possibly expect me to allow-"

"Quiet, Loki." Odin huffed in exasperation. "You will be making the trip each week with your mother. I offer you this privilege as a curtesy. You and your lady each have duties that must be fulfilled; you cannot expect to engross her attention at all times."

Loki's glare could've killed, I was sure.

It's fine, love. Just a few weeks.

Loki's eyes flickered to me before he growled, then inclined his head regally in acceptance.

Odin opened his mouth again to speak when a guard burst through the door, spouting about an attack on the village.

"Loki, go with the warriors to the village." Odin's voice was a commanding tone, but Loki looked at me. "She stays here." He tutted before Loki could grab my hand.