Part 69 (Loki's POV)

Loki

He had noticed. Danielle was anything but herself lately, and Loki had noticed immediately. The pit it dug in his stomach had only continued to grow as days passed without any change.

She appeared at the feasts and celebrations with a smile on her features, but it wasn't her smile. Half the time, Loki was almost sure it was an illusion. She had busied herself with her work, staying in the healing wing at odd hours and using Frigga's absence for the celebrations as excuse. But Loki had noticed.

She isolated herself with the exception of those few celebrations, having no desire to spend time with Sigurd, Thor, or any of the other warriors she usually acquainted with while he was busy. Even Ingrid had asked him if she was okay, as she had been avoiding everyone.

"Mother." Loki hummed as he stepped into Frigga's chambers, directly after yet another spat with Dani over working late in the healing wing.

That was another thing. Arguments had been a daily activity now, and Loki couldn't for the life of him understand why.

"She's pushing you away as well?" Was Frigga's immediate response.

Loki felt his heart sink even further, nodding slightly as he plopped down in his mother's chair without an ounce of grace.

"I'm unsure why."

"Has she met Sigyn? Perhaps it's just a bit of misplaced insecurity?" His mother asked, knowing the woman had came with her mother, Freya, for the festivities.

Loki shook his head. "No, I don't think she has."

Sigyn had rightfully avoided both Loki and Dani, and with Dani's new secluded nature it was easy to do. Loki also didn't think Dani would be insecure, not about Sigyn. She knew well that he never really wanted to marry her, or even liked her for that matter, and, at least in Loki's eyes, comparing the two was like comparing a cold, dull stone to a glowing diamond, no matter how nice or pretty Sigyn was.

"You said she used to celebrate in Midgard, yes? Perhaps she misses her home."

That... That thought made all the sense in the world to Loki. On his birthday, when discussing how close Jól was, Dani had lit up as she spoke of Christmas. Lit up in a way he hadn't seen often in a long time, and it hit him rather suddenly that she was likely struggling not being able to celebrate with her family.

Loki would offer to take her back home for the holiday, but it would be risky, and the avengers couldn't all come together, not when the majority were now wanted criminals. On top of that, Tony had practically shunned her away before they took her back to Asgard.

"I'm going to make a trip to midgard." Loki now stated, leaning back in his chair. "Perhaps I can lift her spirits."

Frigga smiled at that. Loki was never one to care about others' feelings, except perhaps her own, and she had never seen him so determined to make someone happy. She knew why. Loki was madly in love with the woman Frigga had grown to adore as well, and he was the happiest anyone had ever seen him. Loki had desired only to make Danielle just as happy as she made him, and he would do anything to accomplish his goal.

"I will let your father-"

"He's not my father." Loki corrected nonchalantly.

Frigga huffed, "I will let him know, about your departure. I will encourage him to allow it."

Loki shifted uneasily. He didn't want to speak with Odin. Though Loki could easily say that, in recent weeks, his relationship with the Allfather had improved; that didn't mean either of them actually cared for one another. In fact, Loki had suspected Odin only treated him more fairly in order to get his and Dani's guard down. He worried it was all a long, manipulative plan.