Part 97 (Birds)

We wound up back inside the house not long after Tony passed out champagne. I was thoroughly enjoying watching the other shows I had missed throughout the year as I stayed on Asgard, while eating the plethora of snacks Tony had brought for the entirety of the day.

I was laying in Loki's lap when I felt his body stiffen abruptly, and I followed his gaze to the window. The Raven was perched on the window without an ounce of regard for its surroundings, other than the two princes in the room.

"Open the window, Thor." Loki sighed as I sat up, staring at it.

Thor did so quickly, taking the note from the bird as I held out my hand for him.

"Hello, Hugin." I murmured as the bird flew into it. "I know, I know. He'll want you back quickly. Let's get you a cracker while the boys read your letter."

I was still holding the bird as Thor and Loki whispered between themselves, discussing something that was seemingly important based on their body language, tense faces, and overwhelmingly stern feelings.

"So... The bird?" Tony questioned.

"This is Hugin, he's one of Odin's ravens." I hummed back, trying to read the boys' lips though it was futile. "He's a messenger and somewhat of a spy." I looked back down at the black bird, pushing the cracker higher between my fingers as he quickly pecked away at it. "He enjoys my company more than most, since Odin lets me feed them."

"He makes you feed his birds?" Tony sounded almost offended at the prospect, making me laugh.

"No, the ravens are more than capable of feeding themselves. I just enjoy their company. Elias does, too."

"Who's Elias?" Wanda questioned, her head tilting.

"Oh! He's my owl." I said excitedly. "We should've brought him, he's the sweetest little thing."

"You got an owl?" Tony grinned. "Look at you, practically a Hogwarts professor at this point."

I rolled my eyes, glancing back over as the two brothers began to approach the table.

"Bad news, little sister. I must return home."

"What's going on?"

"Nothing we are concerning ourselves with, darling." Loki commented before Thor could speak. "We're staying here as planned."

"But if they need Thor, they probably need y-"

"They don't need me." He stated firmly. "Thor is heading back as a precaution only; if we are needed he will send for us."

"But-"

"If reindeer games says you can stay, you're staying." Tony cut in, "You never get to visit us, and you're celebrating your engagement. Stop worrying so much about fairyland."

"Fairyland?"

"Don't even acknowledge him." I sighed to Loki. "Fine, fine. You're sure everything is fine?" I asked Thor as I stood from the table.

"I'm certain, Elle." He eased, kissing the top of my head. "I'll be taking the tesseract, meaning you will need to journey home using the bifrost."

I groaned at that, but Thor only chuckled. "You'll need to get used to it eventually."

"Whatever." I grumbled, watching as Loki leaned over towards the bird, whispering softly in Asgardian.

"Fortell mor at jeg kan reise hjem hvis det trengs."
Tell mother I can return home if I'm needed.

I didn't comment on how serious Loki's tone seemed or the slight twinge of nervousness coming from him.

Loki wouldn't allow Frigga to be in danger, I knew that well. Loki would cancel any and every plan when it came to his beloved mama, and that fact was what encouraged me to relax through the issue.

Thor and Hugin left only a few moments later, and Loki sat at the table with us.

"Apologies for that. Odin feels his sleep is inevitably going to occur soon, thus he needs an interm king on Asgard."

"I thought Odinsleep wasn't due for another few months?" I asked softly, my voice laced with my concern.

"Well, Odin is getting older." He sighed. "Whereas it would usually be fine to partake every couple years, it seems he needs it sooner now."

"Loki, we can go h-"

"Stop it." He scolded. "If he falls, mother will instruct us to return. Thor just needs to be there to take over if it happens suddenly; you know Odin's beliefs."

I did know Odin's beliefs. A member of the family always had to have hold over the throne, no matter what was happening. Over everything else, that was most important to the king.

I nodded, before turning back to the group with a sigh.

"Well, never a dull moment, right?"

"Can we talk about your owl more?" Wanda questioned with a smile.

"I could talk about Elias all night." I grinned.

"Does he do the same things as the ravens?"

"Very similar. He was a messenger bird when I got him, so he carried messages between realms to his previous owner. They use birds because they can fly, and with a magic imprint from their owner can essentially teleport great distances, as well as obtain a connection that's almost telepathic in nature."

"Do you have an imprint on Elias?" Wanda was the most interested in the topic, leaning forward as she inquired.

I shook my head. "I'm unsure how to do it, though Odin did say he'd teach me. Elias and I do share a rather natural bond, though."

"Who's taking care of him while you're gone?"

Loki was the one to answer that question, "Ingrid agreed to care for him during our absence. I assumed she would be one of few individuals Dani trusted enough with the task."

"That's accurate." I hummed back, smiling. "Though I do wish we would've brought him. I would've loved to introd-"

A hard 'thud' on the window made my head snap over to it, thinking the raven had returned with orders for Loki and I to return home. Instead, however, the black owl peered inside at me, head tilted as he inspected the foreign glass.

"Elias!" I grinned and jumped up, running to the window and opening it for him. "Such a rotten boy, Ingrid is going to be frantic!" I giggled as the bird playfully squeaked and hopped onto my awaiting wrist.

"I thought you hadn't... done the thing." Tony stated, looking at the bird.

I shrugged, "I didn't. I don't think I did, at least." I felt my eyebrows furrow as I looked down at Elias. "How'd you get here?"

He stared at me before squeaking out softly and preening my sleeve.

"I'm less than surprised." Loki shrugged, "She's naturally rather gifted with magic. I wouldn't be shocked to hear she had imprinted the bird accidentally."

Tony and Loki spoke a bit more, while Wanda came to me, instantly enthralled in Elias.

"He's so sweet." She cooed as he hopped onto her awaiting palm, tilting his head in curiosity.

"He's a big baby." I grinned.

"He's likely hungry." Loki hummed, waving a hand in the air. A small, raw fish was hanging between his fingers not a second later, and Elias quickly left Wanda to get to it.

"You have fish in the pocket?" I raised an eyebrow.

"As I said, my love, I'm less than surprised you've accidentally imprinted the owl." He rolled his eyes, but smiled softly when Elias preened at him, squeaking.

"You're wrong. He just loves his mommy enough to travel the realms in search." I teased, sitting back down at the table beside Loki.

"Yes, darling. The owl sees you as it's mother and just can't bare to be away from you." Loki rolled his eyes, sarcasm dripping off his voice.

"Fuck off, Laufeyson." I laughed, taking Elias back from the god. I looked back at Tony with a smile. "Now, how about we kick Mischief's ass in a game of Phase 10?"