Part 24 (Explanation)

I was woken up to the sound of the door shutting. I took less than a second to remember my surroundings and remember the courtesies Thor had spoken of during his stories.

I forced myself to sit up, feeling the subtle soreness that engulfed my entire being as I did so. The pain was quite literally down to my bones, and the throbbing in my head forced me to take a minute and hold back a whimper before I could adjust my eyes to whoever had come in.

"Dove?" I heard his soft, nearly whispering voice as the chair beside me creaked, a clear warning that a body had sat in it. I leaned back a bit against the headboard, trying to stifle the pained groan that begged to escape my lips.

I turned to face him. His face looked pained with sympathy as he leaned forward, setting a teacup on the table beside me.

"Hey, Lo." I said softly, "Didn't mean to intrude on your home. Thor kinda brought me here without consent." I forced a smile, earning a small chuckle from Loki.

"Oh, darling." He said in a loving exasperation, his own smile growing slightly. "I'm truly blissed to see you in Asgard; I only wish the circumstances were better." He pushed the tea closer to me, ushering me to take it. "It's no cappuccino, but you'll appreciate it when the pain subsides."

I nodded as I took it, sipping on it as I felt the warmth engulf my hands. "Did Thor tell you about everything?" I questioned, raising my eyebrows.

Loki shook his head. "I only found out you were here moments ago." He said softly, a hand now resting on my thigh as he leaned forward more, his elbows resting on the bed. "But I've heard rumors around the castle."

"Oh." I huffed, rubbing my forehead with a free hand, before downing the rest of the tea. "Well."

I explained everything to him, from the blocker to the migraines and nausea to the weirdness I had felt when it was removed, but Loki knew I was holding back.

"Dove, what aren't you telling me?" He questioned, his fingers drawing circles on my leg.

"Before I passed out, I heard a... A whisper, I think? Well, it was more like many whispers. I think I'm going mad." I mumbled, averting my gaze.

"Whispers? What did they say?" His concern was only growing, I could feel it thick enough to cut with a blade.

"I'm not really sure." I said honestly. "I can't remember all that well, but I remember it was... Calling me, almost. Chanting. It was something like dre-."

Loki quickly shushed me, his finger now on my lips. "Don't." He quietly warned, before turning to glance at the door. He stared for a short second before he turned back to face me. "We'll discuss that later, okay?"

I felt my eyebrows raise, then nodded. "Well, then I woke up to Tony once, and now I'm here. Thor says your mother figured out mine was a healer, which I'm assuming is your equivalent of doctors here, but he wouldn't say anything about my father."

Loki was instantly uncomfortable, rubbing his fingers along me once more in an attempt to calm himself rather than me. I felt my eyelids growing heavier as I watched him fiddle along my skin. "It's the tea, darling. The common effect is drowsing." He said, clearly feeling my sudden discomfort with how tired I had become so abruptly.

"Are you leaving?" I asked softly, turning to look at him. He vigorously shook his head, moving his hand to grab mine.

"I'll be here when you wake, don't worry."

I'm not sure how long I slept, but the next time I woke up it was to a familiar, booming voice.

"Brother! You chose to visit her."

I kept my eyes closed, unable to fight with my low energy to open them. I felt Loki's hand in mine loosen slightly as the door shut, but he didn't remove it.

"Quiet, you oaf. She's resting." His voice was hushed, but I could sense his aggravation with his brother's presence.

"Right, right. Sorry." Thor's voice now whispered. It would've been comedic enough to make me laugh in any other situation. "You two... Must've truly gotten close on Midgard, huh?"

Thor got no vocal response to his question, but I knew very well that Loki had likely rolled his eyes at his older brother.

"I'm glad, Loki. Elle is truly the greatest friend anyone could ask for."

I felt Loki tense under my palm as the word 'friend' escaped Thor's lips. I knew I had to end the discussion, as Loki's energy had taken an incredibly horrid turn towards thoroughly angered. I hummed to end the discussion quickly, pretending to just begin waking up.

"Thor?" I questioned as I turned slightly in the bed, bringing my free hand to my eyes to rub them. "You sleep well?"

"Yes. I see you've been treated well?"

I nodded, sitting up a bit. Pain once again shot through my inner self, making me squint as I tried to suppress the pained facial expression. I failed horribly. Loki's hands instantly went to my back and hip, helping me to a sitting position.

"Careful, darling." He whispered softly, before sitting back down in the chair. I gave him a thankful smile.

"Mother says I can take you to your chambers whenever you feel you can walk." Thor said quietly, smiling as he walked to the foot of the bed. "I would prefer having you as close as possible, just in case, but she insists I give you a choice in the matter. I'd like you to stay in one of the suites on Loki and I's wing, however those are technically considered 'consort' chambers, which may further discussions currently being had in the kingdom."

I raised my eyebrows, stifling a laugh.

Thor continued, seemingly taking my silence as a lack of understanding. "A consort is a-"

"I know what a consort is, Thunder." I said with a small smile, rolling my eyes. "How far away is the other option?"

I could feel Loki's twinging aggravation at my question, and he answered before Thor could. "Far further than you should be in this state."

Thor seemed surprised by his brother's honesty, but nodded in agreement. "It's in the guest wing, nearly across the palace."

I huffed. "And I assume neither of you will be happy if I choose that option?"

"Correct." Loki spoke slyly, his eyebrows furrowed as he looked at me. I didn't need my empathetic abilities to know his frustration was now slightly directed towards me as the crease on his forehead and the grip on the chair's arm tightened.

"Well, I guess this choice thing isn't actually much of a choice, then, is it?"

"Correct." Thor cooed, smiling widely.