Part 7 (Assassin)

I sat at a park bench, a backpack and a full coffee cup sitting beside me and my fingers flipping through a book I was given to seem nonconspicuous, looking as though I was just a student. The pros to looking young, I suppose. I wondered to myself why, of all places, SHIELD would do a drop off at a crowded Central Park. It seemed like a risk to me, to do such a thing in an area with so many civilians, and I'll admit it only made my anxiety about the situation that much worse.

I watched out of the corner of my eye as the agent I had been introduced to earlier in the day sat down at another bench and waited for the drop off. The objective was relatively simple, keep the agent safe and ensure they get back to base unscathed with the information.

I flipped another corner of the book as another man sat beside me. "Computer programming?" He said with a slight smile.

I nodded a bit, "Working on a bachelors." I said with a smile, before facing back down at my book to look at the agent once more. Something about the man gave me a dreadful feeling, as if he himself radiated a wretched energy.

It was not even seconds later that another man, in a hoodie and jeans, sat down at the bench with a briefcase. Seconds after that the bus came, and he got on it, no briefcase in his grasp. It seemed like a simple enough drop off, and I prepared myself for the agent to get up. However she sat still, waiting.

I glanced back at the man beside me, and for the first time noticed the gun on his hip. I clenched my jaw and flipped another page, looking back at the agent.

I felt the man go to stand. Without putting much thought into it, I quickly grabbed the coffee cup and stood, knocking it into his chest and sending the foam shattering against him.

"Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry, sir." I said dramatically. The agent took the cue and immediately began pacing down the path.

"Dumb bitch." The man seethed, shoving me downward as he took off after her. I wasted no time in pressing my cuff as I chased after him, and as soon as I felt the cold metal on my fingertips I sent an electrodart into his back. I watched as he seized up and fell to the ground, but didn't bother to stop in order to ensure I caught up to the agent. I knew there was no way the man was the only agent sent out by Hydra if they truly intended on getting the briefcase, and that assumption was proven correct as a van ran up the curb and out hopped 5 men with guns already drawn.

I didn't have much time to think before they started shooting. I couldn't feel any of the bullets hitting my armor, but I could hear the dings alongside the gunfire. I used the repulsors built into the hands of my armor to shoot myself close enough to the men, before throwing two into the side of the van, and shooting the other three with the repulsors themselves. I had meant to hit each of the men in the arm, but one of them had tried to jump onto me as my arm went upwards. We wrestled for a moment before he screamed, falling to the ground. I knew I had gotten him in the chest, but when he fell to the ground he still moved about, trying to get back into the van. I didn't take any time to aid him, however, and instead I followed behind the agent until I caught up with them getting into the SHIELD car waiting around the block.

Once back into the base I took my armor off, watching as it broke down back into my cuff.

"Nice job, kid." Fury smiled, which was a rare site, "You did amazing. No civilian casualties and we captured 4 of the 5 agents on scene alive, we'll be interrogating them for information."

I felt my throat dry at the words. "4 alive?"

The director put his hand on my shoulder, guiding me to his office. "Look, you did good. If it were my agents, their directive would've been to use lethal force with all 5."