Part 23 (Loki's POV)

Loki

Thor's tired body heaved through the halls, his eyes a deep red.

"You finally left the side of your little Midgardian." Sif commented in passing, which peaked Loki's interest.

He had heard whispers of Thor bringing an unknown Asgardian from Midgard in a poor state, many had contemplated whether the girl would even survive. Short descriptions of her rough state had passed through the palace, though it was said Thor had kept her covered with a cloak and blanket as he carried her from the bridge to the healing wing. That wasn't the most enthralling of the stories, but rather her parentage.

Rumors circulated around the castle that the girl was the daughter of Eir and Fafnir, an unlikely and, quite frankly, impossible match. Loki hadn't had the chance to speak with his brother nor his mother on the issue, as the Allfather had given him tedious task after task to keep him busy since his secret return home.

He had felt like a child once again, being given busywork to keep him occupied. His only desire was to be given a break, a chance to slip back to Midgard for even just a day.

He hadn't seen his brother since his speedy return home, but knew he had holed himself away somewhere within the healing wing with the girl. It was unusual for Thor to be as distrusting as he was with the guards and healing staff, which in itself had gained the attention of the entire castle.

Such drastic mistrust was seen as not only a lack of trust for the servants, but the Allfather who commanded them as well.

"She is awake; mother has sent me to bed." Thor's voice wasn't nearly as loud or full as usual, instead being laced with exhaustion and simple relief.

"When do we get to meet this infamous lady?" Fandral's voice boomed from beside Sif, matching the tone that was more common for Thor with his excitement.

"Perhaps when I wake. She's still ill and in need of rest." Thor parented, rubbing his eye with a fist. "And she will not be pleased if she's forced to meet you all without me present."

The sound of a mimicked horse whip could be heard from Volstagg's lips as he grinned at Thor.

"Do not assume a courtship between Lady Elle and I, she is my family on Midgard."

Elle? Loki thought to himself, feeling a sudden wave of anxiety that was incredibly rare for the god.

"Who?" Loki tried to sound as if he were just nonchalantly inquiring, perhaps even simple interest, but his voice was laced with concern nonetheless.

Thor finally looked at his brother, eyes slightly wider. "She's in our suite of the healing wing, brother." He said calmly, almost unnerved by his brother's concern. He had known the friendship between his best friend and brother had grown somewhat close, but he hadn't expected his brother to truly care. He hadn't even thought to inform him of her presence on Asgard.

Loki only hummed in response, sticking his tongue in his cheek and waiting until Thor and the others walked away to swiftly turn towards the healing wing, making an elegant stride out of his pace and passing a set of guards who blocked the path into the wing itself. It was uncommon for the healing wing to be guarded, which only added to Loki's unease. Something was clearly making Thor anxious about Danielle's presence.

From the window of the door, he could see the dark-haired girl sleeping in the bed at the center of the room. She looked pale in comparison to the last time they had seen one another, and dare he think even thinner. The pit in his stomach had dropped tenfold now, instant guilt filling his chest as he watched her for a moment.

"You were right, her mind is hard to crack." He heard his mother's voice from behind him, tearing him from the trance of the woman lying in the bed. He looked at his mother, instantly gaining a sympathetic smile from her as she saw the emotions swimming in his eyes. "Even in her weakened state, it was mostly blocked. I fear she may have even felt me trying."

His mother smiled a bit at the thought, a mischievous, smirk-like smile that was all too similar to his own. "She thinks highly of you, though." She added after a moment of silence. "That much she was obvious about."

Loki still stayed quiet, his gaze falling to the floor. He doubted that, but he didn't feel any desire to express his doubts and insecurities to her. The truth was, he had spoke incredibly highly of Dani to his mother, all but gushing about the dark-haired Midgardian he had been helping with her telepathic abilities, but he hadn't ever expressed his doubts, or how close the two had truly been.

His dove had been so reassuring in his presence, always giving him affection when she sensed his need for it. She had been kind and playful from the very beginning, the last thing he expected after their first encounter.

She was all that much more confusing when she expressed her knowledge of him and his past with a sympathetic smile rather than a revolted glare, or when she met his threatening actions afterwards with a simple quirked eyebrow and a look of sheer annoyance. The fact that she took him back into her home and arms without throwing a single jab in return, instead just a knowing glance and some tea, was unfathomable to the god.

She had the patience of a saint with him, and he couldn't for the life of him understand why.

"You truly care for her, don't you?"

Loki sighed a bit, holding his head up higher. "Yes." He spoke softly after a moment. "I shoul-"

"I'm sure she understands, my child. You're a busy person." Frigga stated surely, already knowing what his next words were.

"I'm never too busy for her." He quipped quickly, instantly regretting the annoyance in his tone when he spoke to his mother. He closed his eyes, huffing to himself a bit. "I didn't me-"

"I like you like this." The queens voice cooed as she grinned up at him. "So passionate."

Loki nearly scoffed out a laugh, before looking back to the bed once more.

"I was here to ensure she drinks this before her pain increases. You should do it." She said quietly, placing a saucer in his hands, a white teacup sitting atop. "She'll be pleased to see you."

Loki stiffened as he thought about it. In his most selfish place, he was incredibly happy to see her in this current situation, to know he hadn't fallen hopelessly for a Midgardian who had less than a century to spend with him. But the overwhelming idea that she may not be happy to see him had taken over this idea, the fear of rejection beginning to outweigh his desire to be near her.

"Go, my son." Frigga persisted, tapping his shoulder once before swiftly walking away.