Part 124 (Tell No One)

6 months passed after Freyr's death. It had been 16 months since the blip.

Fjolnir was head over heels for me, I was sure. He'd tell me over and over again, patiently waiting for me to say it back, but nothing within me could allow it. Even with my strong guise, the words wouldn't slip from my lips.

I had to admit, though, I did take a bit of solice in his cool touch when he'd brush his hand across my shoulder, hug me in the morning, or grab my hand. That cool touch was all too familiar to Loki.

I didn't need my psychology PhD whatsoever to know that was yet another unhealthy coping mechanism.

I didn't feel like me, though, not in the slightest. I felt like a whole different person. The anger that built up inside me from being around Fjolnir so long was beginning to take an even harsher effect on my psyche, I was sure.

Tony called me when Pepper went into labor exactly one month ago, and I came. I had even talked Fandral into coming back to Vanaheim with me, citing my need for a guard, which Fjolnir thoroughly encouraged after I was 'poisoned'.

Fandral took the job quickly, an obvious ploy to get away from the Asgardians. He wasn't any better, his once outgoing and joyous attitude switching for that of a recluse.

I knew I had done my job, played the game well under Fjolnir's nose. The sell swords swore loyalty to me, kneeling at the black of midnight many moons ago. I had the Ylfings approaching, Fafnir leading them purposefully to my reign, and the people of Vanaheim considered me their queen already, tokening my name to now be 'queen of the people', rather than princess.

I couldn't understand how I managed to sweep this all under an ill-fitting blanket to keep it out of Fjolnir's sights. The only explanation I could have was that love is blind. It's a weapon, the most powerful ruse of them all. And I was wielding it without regard.

"Goodmorning, sweet." Fjolnir hummed as he entered my room that morning.

This was always the worst part. Pretending I was just as infatuated with the man, pretending I could think of anything other than Loki in those moments. The way Fjolnir's words would be so close, yet so far from the words I had truly longed to hear from Loki's voice.

"Goodmorning, Nir." I hummed back, though I grabbed the blankets and covered myself up more.

Fjolnir hopped in the bed, laying beside me.

"Is this how we're to spend our morning?" He asked softly, his lips just above my ear where I could feel his smirk.

"Yep." I mumbled, resealing my eyes closed against him.

"What a pleasant little thing."

Just as he spoke I felt the presence. Fafnir was near, I knew. I could feel the rage, the power surging from him in glorious waves, and I took a deep breath.

"Breakfast?" I asked softly.

Fjolnir chuckled. "Anything for my favorite girl." He said as he sat up, pulling me up into him. "Breakfast awaits."

As we walked through the halls I caught sight of Sigurd, who casually sat at the breakfast table. From the glance he shot me, he, too, knew it was time.

'Open the gates before the dinner feast. Allow the Ylfings to fight Fjolnir's supporters.' I spoke to his mind, taking a drink of my coffee.

'My men are perfectly able, my queen.'

'As I'm aware. But we have no need for it. Without your army to fight against, the ylfings will handle the rest easily. No need for us to fight when Fafnir can.'

Sig smirked at the logic, a simple glance in agreement passing between us before I headed to the main table with Fjolnir.

Breakfast was commonly a buffet, and I quickly grabbed a biscuit and some sausage as I took my seat.

I was busy eating, trying not to focus on the surge of rage I felt as Fafnir got closer, when Fjolnir looked at me.

"Baby?"

"Hm?" I hummed as I refocused on him.

"Where'd you go, just then?" He asked, seeming worried. "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine." I rolled my eyes with a smile, my hand finding Fjolnir's on the table. "Just got... Lost, for a moment. Sometimes this place reminds me of Asgard." I lied through my teeth, but Fjolnir immediately bought it.

"I'm sorry. Would you like to go for a walk, something to take your mind off of it?"

"It's okay, Nir. The court meeting is coming up."

"We could postpo-"

"No. Maybe just... Would you mind if you attended this meeting without me?"

Fjolnir shot me a sympathetic smile, nodding slightly. "I can do that."

We sat for another few minutes before he stood, leaning down to kiss me before he sauntered off towards the meeting.

"Dani." Fandral stated as he approached, pulling a chair to sit in front of me. "What are you doing?"

"What?" I hummed the question, making Fandral's jaw clench.

"Am I to truly believe you would disrespect your husband by moving on so quickly?" He leaned forward. "Am I truly to believe you're that desperate to avoid being alone?"

I bit my cheek as my eyes narrowed. "I've done nothing to disrespect my husband."

"Yet you've come to be with the man who tried to pilfer you from him, who went to lengths to ruin your image of him."

I glanced around, noticing the glances from the other Vanir towards us.

'Look here. Because of this charade, I'll have conquered the city by nightfall without a single civilian casualty. I didn't do all this for it to be ruined by your need to defend my husband. I didn't kill Freyr for you to come here and ruin my plan!'

Fandral almost smirked, I could tell, but kept his court face subtly on his features.

'Had I known you were starting a war after my arrival, I would've requested more hazard pay.' He teased back in amusement.

'I have other men to do the fighting. That part isn't in your job description.' I responded. 'Now, throw a fit, and make it look convincing for the buffoons watching us.'

"Do as you please, harlot. I certainly hope it makes you happy forgetting about your dead husband." He growled convincingly before standing up, flipping the chair over on his way out the door.

"Apologies, for his outburst." I stated to the group of Vanir beside us.

"He had no right to speak to you like that." Sigyn stated as she fixed the chair. "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine." I huffed. "He's just... Hurting still."

"You both are, and thats perfectly acceptable." Sigyn sighed as she sat down. "Can I get you anything?"

"No. Thank you." I responded. "How are you? I know you've had time since your mother, but..."

She shook her head. "I'm doing better, thank you for asking. My lady and I were actually discussing taking a trip to midgard for a bit to help take my mind off of it."

I grinned at that. "Oh that'd be wonderful! You would, of course, be welcome on New Asgard should you need it. When would you be leaving?"

She smiled and nodded, "I wanted to leave as soon as possible, but she said we'd need to acquire proper currency for midgard before we went."

"Absolutely not a problem for either of you. I can set you up with everything you should need."

"Dani, I could request such a th-"

"I take no issue in it, Sigyn." I stated. "I'll pay in full, with one stipulation."

"And what's that?" She raised an eyebrow, a small smirk on her lips.

"You leave today." I stated flatly. "And you tell no one."