Part 123 (Love & Deception)

We spent a month on Midgard before deciding to return to Vanaheim. Fjolnir thoroughly enjoyed every moment of his time on Earth, insisting he get to see as much of everything as he could, but eventually he knew it was time to retake the throne.

We landed on Vanaheim at night, after spending the day in New Asgard so I could check on Thor and Elias, who insisted on following us back to the realm.

I felt bad for my negligence towards the bird, but a part of me knew I hadn't been in the headspace to care for myself properly, let alone him. I questioned whether I even was now.

I was laying in bed, the owl nestled right beside me on his makeshift nest on my nightstand as I sighed, closing my eyes and drifting off.

I was on the beach of the isle, I knew immediately. I furrowed my eyebrows, looking around for a hint as to when or why I was there. A nightmare?

My questions were answered when I saw Fafnir, who sat in the sand with a content feeling surrounding him. He wasn't his shadow-self, though, but rather just as I had remembered him, with the exception of the large scar going from his face, just below his eye, to the collar of his shirt.

"Come, talk with me, Firefly."

"You're really you?" I questioned before I did. He felt like him, but different. There was a certain lack of rage that made me timid.

"Yes. I'm in the corner of the room, just as I was when your chosen found me during our last visit. Come, our conversation is long overdue."

I sat down beside him, looking out across the water.

"You're doing well, gaining house Freyr's trust." He stated with a smirk. "You've far surpassed my expectations."

"Thank you." I mumbled, still staring at the water.

"I know you're likely at odds with yourself. A dragon without their chosen is a vicious beast. Are you the beast, or a compassionate goddess? How irrefutably cruel of a dilemma." He sighed. "I have prepared the Ylfings to storm the city, but our success lies fully on you, Firefly."

"What do you mean?"

"You must kill Freyr first. His abilities could cause many fatalities to our men. In your pillowcase you will find a beautiful purple flower. Insure he ingests 5 petals. It must be 5 to finish the job, do you understand?"

"Then what?" I asked.

"We will take that path once we reach it. In the end, you will take the throne of Vanaheim, as should have been."

"Should have been?"

"The people chose our family. The tribes of Vanaheim chose our family. When they did, I chose you." He explained. "A dragon knows another dragon upon meeting. Frey was wrong, when he told you he couldn't transform because he had one dragon parent. He couldn't transform because he was unworthy of dragonhood, as all your brothers were. As my brothers were, and my father's brothers before that. Dragonhood isn't biological, it's fate. It's destiny."

"How do I keep going, without Loki?" I asked him quietly. "I can't live this way."

"Focus on the task at hand now, daughter. I'm afraid our time is up."

I woke up to the sun shining on my face, making me groan.

I instantly sat up, feeling inside my pillowcase to find the exact flower Fafnir had said was inside. I bit my cheek as I looked at the position of the sun. I would've guessed I had roughly a half hour before Fjolnir woke, and maybe 10 minutes before Freyr had his morning tea. I knew immediately that I couldn't be suspected. Fjolnir wasn't stupid by any means, I had to be convincing.