Part 33 (The Village Whispers)

We rode separate horses to the village, tying them up on a guarded post before sauntering off towards the different shops and stands along the pathway. Loki walked beside me, his hands clasped together behind his back.

I kept mine in front of me, one hand holding the other's wrist to keep from instinctually grabbing his arm, something I had grown accustomed to doing even when we were friends going on walks in Central Park. I thought Loki was just an absolute gentleman, but he had never told me that such simple mannerisms were behaviors of endearment in Asgard.

It made me smirk a bit, knowing all the times he had casually offered his arm was a means of affection. It also made me understand more now why he was so pleased when I'd randomly grab his arm out of habit, such as when I did so in front of the warriors.

The village was beautiful, covered in plants and vines, statues, carts, and shops lining the paths. I did notice the people looking, glancing between Loki and I, but it didn't bother me much. Being Tony's sister, I was used to public attention. It's hard not to be when you're a Stark.

"This place is just gorgeous." I said with a smile as we walked.

Loki looked down at me and grinned, "I had forgotten how much was truly here." Loki nodded me towards a small shop and slightly led the way, making sure to stay beside me while still leading. "This one was my favorite."

It was adorned with shelves lining the walls, absolutely covered in books and plants, as well as other miscellaneous items. As we walked in a man behind the counter smiled, bowing.

"My prince."

"Magnus." Loki acknowledged, glancing around the store.

"I have acquired many texts since your last visit, my prince. I have held them in case of your return." Magnus said with a smile, setting a stack of books on the counter.

Loki cracked the faintest of smiles as he strode closer to the counter, overlooking several old books. Their condition was impeccable given how old they had to have been, the covers leather with the titles branded onto them in fine text. I couldn't read them, being that they were in what I assumed to be Asgardian text.

"Lady Eirdottir." Magnus said as he watched me glance around. He seemed nervous to speak to me, I could feel his slight anxiety circle the room as he glanced between Loki and I.

"Hello." I said with a smile, feeling his anxiety slightly fade at my pleasant tone.

"May I interest you in some English-written literature?" He asked with a smile, walking around the corner. He hesitated after a moment, realizing his question could possibly be offensive. "Apologies, I've heard that you grew up on Midgard. I didn't th-"

"That sounds lovely." I responded, my unwavering tone as kind and positive as I could muster.

Magnus spent the time showing me English translated Asgardian books and I couldn't help but show interest in a large, white leather spell book, bound with thin brown rope and gold details.

Opening it, I realized it was a rather basic book on magic, detailing different forms of the Asgardian sorcery with explanations on how to do it. Turning a few pages would show the more advanced of the forms, from vivid illusions to healing spells.

"The lady will take that one." I heard a voice behind me, almost making me jump. Loki wasn't even a foot behind me, smirking at my reaction. "And I'll take those four. Have them sent to the palace for me."

"Of course, prince Loki." Loki pulled a small silk-looking bag from his pocket, setting it down on Magnus' palm, "There's no need, my pr-"

"Keep it." Loki said flatly, almost sounding bored as he motioned for me to walk with him once more.