Part 54 (Fjolnir)

The next morning I was woken up earlier than normal, maids coming in to 'get me ready' for the day.

"Ingrid, what is going on?" I asked grumpily, still hung over from the day before.

"Prince Fjolnir wants you to arrive by 8." She said sympathetically. "He requests you wear a gown."

"Ew." I remarked back, causing Ingrid and the other maid to laugh. "Tell him I'll meet him at noon instead." I grumbled as I tried to lay back down.

The other maid nervously looked at Ingrid, who huffed. She had grown comfortable enough with me now. "Fjolnir is not the kindest, to us staff."

I stiffened at that, before sitting up. "Explain while you get me ready."

In short, the guy was a pretentious prick. Things happened at the snap of his fingers or he threw temper tantrums, a clear sign of a child who never heard the word 'no' growing up. I allowed the girls to explain his arrogance to me as they got me ready. The other maid I learned was named Frida.

Once I was ready, I walked out the doors with both maids, allowing them to guide me to Fjolnir.

I was led into a small room, where a table sat in the middle, decorated sweetly in gold and pink flowers. Not quite my taste, but it was cute. The lights were bright, making me huff a bit in my still hungover state. I raised my eyebrows as a man came inside, one I recognized watching me from the training grounds.

"Hello, lady Fafnirdottir. I'm Fjolnir." He said kindly, extending his hand.

I was confused by the niceness in his tone, the sweet smile on his lips. I was also confused by what he had called me. I had always been referred to as Eirdottir, never Fafnirdottir.

"No need for formalities." I said quietly, shaking his hand.

"Right... Dagny, yes?"

"That's fine." I hummed back, sitting as he pulled a chair back for me.

"You made quite the impression yesterday." He said with a small smile. "As you have continuously done since you've gotten to Asgard."

"Is that so?" I questioned.

"The court men were practically demanding I make an offer of marriage to you. They seemed quite charmed, which is surprising considering you..."

"Daughter of Fafnir?"

Fjolnir laughed at that, shaking his head. "You grew up on Midgard. We don't necessarily think highly of that realm."

"That's a shame." I responded, still smiling a bit. "It can be quite charming."

"As I've been told, especially by Thor." He took a drink. "I'm beginning to believe him." He hummed as he looked at me.

"If I'm being completely sincere here, Fjolnir. I am not available."

"I've been made aware of that." He said through a grin. "I'd be more concerned if you hadn't ever dated someone from one of our realms. I'm glad you've had the experience."

"I don't think you underst-"

"I understand it fine, princess. I'm simply confident in my ability to persuade you." There it was. The narcissistic, ridiculously pretentious side I knew I could find.

"Right." I mused, fighting the urge to roll my eyes. "Well it seems you have one day to do so. I'd say you're not doing too hot as of yet."

He chuckled at that, nodding. "Yes, it seems I'm not. I'll grow on you, I'm certain."

Breakfast came not long after he spoke, and we fell into silence as we ate. Simply out of curiosity, I caught myself reading Fjolnir's mind subtly every few minutes.