Part 43 (Prisoner)

Though it was night in Asgard, when I landed on the roof of Stark tower the sun had just began rising. It was barely over the horizon as the sky had began to shine orange and pink.

Loki had immediately released me back on Asgard, and I wasted no time to grab my bag and walk out the door, ignoring the hurt feelings swarming throughout the room. Whether they were my own or his I wasn't sure, perhaps they were both.

I was angry, obviously, but part of me wanted him to stop me, or give me some thorough explanation that made everything make sense... But he didn't. Instead he let me go, and didn't follow when I walked to the bifrost either. Why did I want him to follow me? Heimdall seemed to already know what I was doing when I got there, offering me a simple nod.

I fell to my knees when I landed, being completely unable to keep my balance at the feeling of the bifrost. It was like spinning in a circle a million times, only to be thrown to the ground. It was nauseating and I had to take a moment to regain myself before I stood up.

Almost instantly I had to force away the ill feeling of regret as I thought about what I had just done. I should have stopped to listen to what he had to say, for my own closure if anything, but I hadn't. In my angered state, I was too busy trying to get away from him.

That wasn't a new flaw of mine. I had done so to Tony so many times. It is why I had a secret apartment, after all. I huffed as I pushed the slight regret away. Loki had kept this from me, something so abhorrent. I felt used, betrayed. That was it, he had betrayed me. The word clicked so easily, and the regret faded to nothing quickly afterwards.

I walked to the elevator, pressing my pin in and going to the avenger's floor.

"Toaster?" I called out when I exited.

I walked around for a moment before heading to the lab, seeing a passed out Tony with his head on his desk, his mouth slightly agape as he snored. I smiled, knowing this was how he acted when he was stressed. I felt bad for being the reason of his worry, and even worse for the small amount of joy I got when I was reassured he cared in ways like this.

I came up and kissed his cheek, before shaking him lightly.

"Hey, big brother." I whispered, making him shoot up.

In an instant I was in his arms, being squeezed as if letting me go would make me disappear.

"You're home." He finally said as he pulled back, his hands touching my cheeks as if to prove I was really me. "Kid, I am so, so s-"

"I know, Tony. It's not your fault; there was no way of knowing." I responded with a smile, before looking around. "Where is everybody?"

Tony huffed. "Well, that's complicated."

"Complicated how?"

"Okay, so what happens when they use the accords to control the avengers completely? Or when they use it to control anyone with special abilities?"

Tony shrugged, leaning back in his chair. "Nat is in Vienna now at the UN conference. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it, but the accords were getting passed one way or another. At least we still have a bit of political edge this way."

"That doesn't make it right, you know? I'm all for accountability, but the amount of power this is going to give them is... Terrifying."

"I know. I promise I'm working on it, okay? I have just as much on the line as you do right now."

"Where's Pepper? Or my little bruja?" I quickly tried to change the subject.

"Your friend is in her room with Vision. As for Pepper..." He paused for a minute, huffing. "We're taking a break."