Part 78 (Peace)

Loki and Frigga's trip only lasted two days, meaning they were leaving just as quickly as they had came.

I hated that Loki was leaving again, and I could tell he did too by the way he acted that morning. He woke me up by running his hand through my hair, using his other to pull me slightly closer to him on the bed.

"Morning, Mischief." I nuzzled into him further, looking up to see his smile.

"Good morning, my love." He whispered against the top of my head. "Mother will be ready to leave soon."

"I know." I pouted, holding onto him tighter. "I will miss you."

"Just another week and we'll be back, darling."

"I know." I huffed, sitting up from the bed.

Loki sat up along with me, his arms lacing around me tightly. He kissed my temple and nuzzled into my hair, enough that I could nearly feel his smile.

"Behave yourself and be careful, dove. I don't like the feel of this place."

I rolled my eyes but smiled and nodded. "I'm always careful. I'm also capable of handling myself."

"I know."

"Lady Eirdottir!" I heard alongside a knock on my door. I groaned, knowing it was Frode.

"Yes?"

"The queen is ready for her departure."

"Thank you." I hummed as I stood from the bed, feeling Loki's magic once again surround my body.

A gorgeous long-sleeved, Asgardian fabric surrounded me in a shimmer of green. The fabric was thick and warm, the neckline higher than most Asgardian dresses. The green was slightly lighter than Loki's usual shade, and the gold detailing sparkled in the lights of the torches. I smiled as I looked at him, kissing his cheek as he shimmered into his usual Asgardian formalwear.

"Just a week." I hummed again as I took his arm and allowed him to escort me towards his mother's chambers.

I smiled at the pair as they stood within the same circle the bifrost had made before.

"Be good, daughter." Frigga called out with a smirk.

"I'm always good." I called back, making her chuckle. She looked up to the sky with a sigh.

"Heimdall!"

In a flash of rainbow light they disappeared, and I was once again on my own.

"Alright, you guys. Take a day." I told the guards with a smile. "You've earned it. I asked Sig and you're all welcome in the lounge for drinks and food."

"Thank you, lady." I heard a chorused hum before the scattered back towards the Vanir palace.

"Princess." Fjolnir smiled as I walked through the hall, preparing to go back to my suite and relax for the day.

"Hi." I chuckled. "You avoided me while Loki was here."

"I don't wish to be impaled." Fjolnir said, scrunching his nose up. "I'm afraid my teasing during the kings' agreement has made Prince Loki tense in my presence, especially when you're involved."

I nodded a bit. "He's protective, as I've said."

"I can't say a blame him. Though I assure you, you are safe with me. I would never dare to be anything less than a gentle friend to you, and when I am around you have my protection as well."

I rolled my eyes. "What is with you royal men? Always thinking a woman needs protection."

Fjolnir cackled at that, holding his stomach. "Trust that I don't underestimate your power. I simply... I truly adore you, my friend. I don't wish you to think I would allow any harm to come to you in my presence."

I smiled and nodded, and Fjolnir offered me his hand.

"Shall we continue our routine adventures now that your lovely prince is gone?"

I took his hand with a smirk and he teleported us to another new location. This one, however, was a dock. A small boat was already docked on it, and Fjolnir hopped on it quickly. Offering me his hand once again, he generously helped me onto the boat and into one of the plush seats.

We spent most of that day on the water. Fjolnir fished in peace while I drew in my sketchbook, a calm and understanding silence between us. It was nice, the relaxing feel of quietly doing what we like beside one another.

"Princess?" Fjolnir asked after awhile.

"Yes, Vennen?" I asked, not looking up from my sketchbook.

"I..." He took a deep breath, one I could hear over the sound of the water around us. "You're the first friend I've had in decades, you know?"

I raised an eyebrow as I looked up at him. "I'm sorry to hear that, Nir."

He gave me a small, sweet smile in return. "I know your partner is rather... suspicious of me."

"Loki is protective of me. It's nothing to do with you."

"Is it because he knows my heritage?" He asked after a second. I sighed deeply.

"Loki doesn't judge you based on you being Jotun. I can assure you of that."

"How can you be so sure? Asgardians believe Jotunar to be monsters."

I just stared at him. I couldn't tell him. I wouldn't tell him. That didn't mean I felt any less horrible for the way he was feeling.

"Loki feels you're hiding something from us, other than your heritage. Please don't ask how I'm sure, but do trust that he does not feel any strong feelings about you based on your mother."

Fjolnir's eyebrows furrowed, but he nodded. "And you?" He asked. "Are you suspicious of me?"

I breathed out a laugh at that. "I grew up believing I was Midgardian. I had my seidr and my dragonhood locked away from me. I believed my parents simply abandoned me in a public New York street, that I was just unwanted. The last time I went to midgard, my closest ally asked for aid, and it wasn't until afterwards I found out the aid was for a man who attempted to murder me as a child." I sighed as Fjolnir's face turned to one filled with sorrow and horror. "I am suspicious of everyone around me, Fjolnir. Do not take it personally, and do not think I care for you any less because of it."

"Understood." He said softly after a moment. "I'm truly sorry, Princess. You deserved none of that."

"I've learned from it. Grown, because of it." I hummed as I went back to my sketchbook. "I've made peace with it."