Part 19 (The Truth)

The eerie silence of the tower was unsettling as Thor and I walked in. I expected at the very least to see Wanda and Vision, but it didn't seem anyone was there. I walked around until I found the lab, where Tony and Bruce were both quietly working.

"Tony." I bothered, tapping in front of his workspace.

"Hey, little sister. Long time no see." He grumbled.

"Yeah, sorry. I just.." I paused for a moment to think of an excuse. "Things have been really tense here, and I've had a lot on my mind. I needed a break."

Tony raised his eyebrows as he turned to me, and I expected a smart-mouthed comment. It didn't come, only Tony's slight nod. "Yeah, capsicle and I haven't really seen eye to eye lately."

"Can we talk somewhere... Or." I stared at Bruce, who looked up at me. "Y'know what, this is fine." I looked back at Tony. The best thing to do was going to catch him up front and on the spot, so that's the plan of action I went with. "How long have you known I'm telepathic?"

I didn't need him to actually respond, I allowed his thinking to do it for him.

Fuck.

"Tony. There's no need to hide my abilities from me anymore. I already understand what they are, thanks to Loki." I said firmly, walking closer to him. "How long have you known."

Always.

That response broke my heart, in all honesty. But what hurt even more, was what he actually said.

"I've had a hunch for awhile now." He said calmly, smoothly, as if the lie was nothing to him. "I never wanted to confirm it." He looked around the room. "Bruce, Thor. Clear out for a minute?"

"No, they can stay." I said even more firmly than before. "We're all family here, right?"

Tony's jaw clenched at that. "Kid, look. I get what you're do-"

"Do you know why I have this- these powers?"

You shouldn't.

"What do you mean I shouldn't?" I asked before he could actually open his mouth.

"Hey!" Tony raised his voice, standing up. "Don't do that! No mind games on me."

Thor instinctively took a step forward, blocking me from Tony halfway and engulfing me in his own frustration. Thor never was one for men's intimidation tactics when it came to women.

"She doesn't need your protection, Charming."

"Answer her questions, Stark." Thor rumbled, his booming voice unusually quiet.

Tony shook his head and glanced back at me. "Cool, kiddo. You can play with people's minds. Congratulations. Just leave it at that and go about your life, okay? And don't tell anyone other than the people in this room right now, understand?"

"No! I don't fucking understand, Tony." I nearly growled, walking around Thor to look at him better. "Why are you keeping so much from me?! I deserve to know!"

"You know now!"

"Who are my parents?"

"I don't know! What does it matter? They left you, Dani. They abandoned you. They didn't care who you turned out to be, so why do you care who they are?" His hand hit the table as he spoke, shaking the different pieces of metal on it. "They're nobody. Nobody important."

"Well, maybe they-"

"Enough!" He shouted, his loud voice now laced with anger. "And you." He pointed at Thor now. "I told you letting her around that beast you call a broth-"