Part 32 (Overthinking)

Loki escorted me to Frigga's chambers without saying a word, but I could feel that he was tense. Standing outside, I gave his arm an encouraging squeeze.

"I'm okay, love." I whispered, forcing him to look down at me.

"Yes. I'd like to keep it that way." He whispered back before the door opened.

"Dani." Frigga smiled, and I returned it at the feeling of her calm tranquility.

Of everyone I've met, Frigga had the most peaceful aura to her. Her warmth was unmatched by anyone, and second to Loki I'd say she was my favorite to be around, the almost euphoric feeling could calm even the worst nerves.

"Hello, Frigga." I happily responded, waiting a moment for Loki to greet his mother.

He didn't, instead just standing there silently. I nudged him, making him huff.

"Mother." He said softly, taking her hand and kissing it.

Frigga raised her eyebrows, a sigh escaping her lips. She smiled back at me.

"I suppose I've lost the privilege of being left alone with you, my dear." She smiled and touched my cheek as I laughed. "You're feeling better?"

"I feel better than I have in some time." I responded gratefully, following as she guided me to sit at her table.

"Excellent. Loki, dear, have Ingrid to get us some tea."

Loki nodded, glancing at me before he'd step away. A single nod later and he was walking towards the doorway.

"He's become a guard hound in his frustrations over yesterday evening." She whispered fondly and teasingly as she watched him.

"I expected him to be frustrated when the Allfather sent for him today, but he came back very pleased." I pointed out, smiling. "I was sure he'd be enraged the king knew."

Frigga smiled a bit, before touching my hand. It was only a second, but suddenly a full vision swept through my mind.

It was an upward view, what I immediately knew to be Frigga's view beside Odin's throne. Loki came in with what was clearly his court face, not showing a single expression as he entered. He bowed, which I could feel both parents were a bit surprised at. I suppose Loki wasn't big on the bowing thing, not to say I'm surprised.

"My son." Odin started, sounding far fonder of Loki than he and Thor had ever expressed in their stories of the Allfather. Even Loki seemed surprised by this, though he didn't break his strict court face. "The details of the invasion of Midgard have finally come to my attention."

Loki straightened up even more, very obviously preparing for some form of abuse as I watched his body become rigid, subconsciously attempting to shield itself.

"My son, so supreme in his magic, but even more so in pride." Loki's eyebrows furrowed at this. Was it a compliment? A backhanded compliment, no doubt, but a compliment nonetheless. "I will not take fault for your imprisonment, that fault is only your pride's. But, I will take a pride of my own in your endurance. We know here today you could have dealt that titan a deal far more damning to Asgard, but you protected your home and people. For that, you are forgiven for your misdeeds, your sentence is lifted."

Was it a normal father-son interaction? Not in the slightest. However, Odin and Loki weren't a normal father and son. By all accounts, Loki was always more Frigga's child than Odin's. And, by all accounts, their relationship was never very loving.

Even with that said Odin seemed to show his care for his son in his actions, in the odd inflictions of his voice, the way he indeed did hold some pride for Loki in that short discussion.