Part 88 (Apologies)

I was walking Ingrid out when I saw a bloody, bruised Fjolnir limping into the healing wing. I felt my jaw physically drop as I hurried to him, wrapping an arm around his waist.

"What the hell happened?!" I asked quickly as I took him to a room. "Stay still. Annette?" The ninny perked up as I spoke her name. "Get a pain relief tea."

I quickly went to work on Fjolnir's wounds. Two stab wounds falling dangerously close to his heart were the most important, but the prince's jaw also seemed injured. I wouldn't be sure how badly until I used my magic to take a look, but I knew it wasn't good.

"I got into a bit of a scuffle with that suitor of yours, unfortunately." Fjolnir huffed.

I felt my eyebrows furrow, instantly feeling enraged at the idea.

"Loki did this?!"

"Don't be too angry with him, princess. I antagonized him."

"Tell me exactly what happened." I moved to the second stab wound, knowing it was going faster because I was keeping Fjolnir distracted.

"Well, he came to Vanaheim to... intimidate me, I believe. He wasn't keen on our friendship, and believed he could force my hand in ending it. I took offense and I got a dagger to the chest. Odin forced us here to break up the fight, but I said some things I shouldn't have, princess. The blame does not fall solely on Loki's shoulders."

"Don't defend him." I scolded. I couldn't believe Loki would stoop so low. I knew he had been 'off' since he saw Elias, but this was beyond irrational.

"I'm not, beautiful. I'm just stating the truth." He sighed back, using a hand to grip my thigh, just barely above my knee, as he clenched his teeth.

The second wound was closer to his heart, falling more onto his chest than the first. I knew it had to be ridiculously painful. He gripped my thigh slightly tighter before forcing himself to release.

"Sorry, sorry. I didn't hurt y-"

"You're fine, Nir." I said softly, slowly finishing up on the wound. "Let me see your jaw."

Fjolnir turned his head. It was a fracture, and I was sure the missing molar towards the back of his mouth was probably there before the hit. I shook my head as I healed the fracture as best I could, allowing my hand to linger on Nir's cheek for a second longer.

"I'm sorry. I'm really, really sorry."

"Don't be, princess. It's not your fault." He nearly whispered, taking my hand into his. "Thank you for healing me. Though, I believe your prince will need a healing himself. The dagger I used was... a bit of a doozy." He cleared his throat before pulling out a goldish blade, setting it on the table. "His magic alone won't stop the bleeding; it's a design I have specifically for magic users. I only cut his arm to get him away from me, though. That I can swear to you."

It was irrational for me to be angry with Fjolnir over hurting Loki, but the admission stirred something in me. Even just a cut to the arm, in an act of self defense, managed to anger me.

"Annette will be in soon with your tea, Nir." I stated in a monotone voice, pulling my hand from his and standing to leave the room. "Stay put for now, I'll need to check you soon to make sure your chest healed properly."

Not ten minutes later an on-edge Loki entered the healing wing. "Where is D-"

He stopped when I stepped forward, looking between he and Frigga.

"What is that?" Frigga asked, worry lacing each word.

"He needs healed. It won't stop bleeding with his own magic." I sighed as I wiped my hands of Fjolnir's blood. "Come on, Lo."