Part 81 (Anything for You)

Loki and Frigga's second trip ended just as quickly as the first, though I was pleased to see Loki and Fjolnir exchange pleasantries that morning over breakfast when I finally made it down.

"Your grace." One of the servant girls said with a bow as I walked in.

I huffed a bit, but forced a smile and nod to her. "Thank you."

"If you believe the healing home to be well by the time of our next visit, you may come home." Frigga hummed as she sipped her tea. "I'm less than surprised it didn't take you the full month."

I chuckled a bit and nodded. "It wasn't bad off. Freya and Sigyn are both very talented and receptive."

"Thank you, beautiful lady." I heard Sigyn's voice call behind me. I turned to her with a smile as she brushed passed, her hand running across my shoulders as she did.

"What is with the people here?" Loki grumped as he watched her walk away.

Frigga chuckled, "Your lady is a charmer, Loki." She hummed as she sauntered away, back towards Freyr.

"I do believe we once discussed my irresistible charm." I sighed, grinning as Loki gave me a death glare. "Oh come on, Lo. She's just being nice; don't tell me you're jealous of your ex fiancé now."

Loki shivered, grimacing at the word. "Stop that. I am jealous of no one. I simply don't like the extra attention certain individuals go out of their way to gift you."

I tilted my head. "Soundssss like jealousy."

Loki's hand pinching my thigh lightly made me jump, a squeak escaping my lips.

"Asshole." I grumbled underneath my breath.

"What was that, darling?"

My glare was met with a smirk from Loki's end.

Walking to the bifrost, I could feel Loki's frustration like a thick cloud around us.

"It'll be fine, Lo." I hummed through a whisper.

"Yes. I understand, dove." He breathed out, turning to face me when we were feet away. "Be careful; be safe."

"Same goes for you."

He gave me a small smile before he leaned in, his lips lightly brushing against mine before he went to the bifrost circle.

I spent the rest of that day in the healing wing, prepping it further for my departure. It wasn't much, simply writing out different directions for certain protocols.

After a bit Fjolnir came to get me, smiling as he noticed my guards were less than paying attention.

"Come on, princess."

I took Fjolnir's hand and he quickly teleported us away, only this time I was surprised to be on a beach.

"Wow." I said softly as I overlooked the water before allowing my gaze to fall onto a couple of blankets. "You prepared." I laughed.

A bottle of Vanir wine and some snacks sat on the blanket already, only a few feet from where the waves ended.

"I wanted to give you a nice evening. Sigyn mentioned the necklace."

I froze cold in my tracks, eying Fjolnir.

He breathed out a sigh as he walked forward, sitting on the blanket.

"I don't know, Dagny." He nearly whispered, the sound of the waves almost overpowering his words. "I don't know if he did it... I wanna tell you no, that he wouldn't, but..."

"But what?" I asked, my voice coming across far more hostile than I intended.

"The people loved your family. More than anything, actually. They went to war with asgard, against my father's orders, because yours willed it." He hummed. "The man was a force to be reckoned with."

"So what? Freyr would have him killed centuries later, for what?"

"He had offspring, a family, practically his own kingdom, right here in Vanaheim." Fjolnir shook his head, looking at me as he spoke. "If the people began to speak of him taking over the rest of Vanaheim... He would take everything from my family."

"Perhaps well deserved." I growled. "Vanaheim, for all that it is beautiful, is weak. The crown pays mercenaries for guardsmen and begs Asgard to fight their invaders while it's people die. It's pathetic."

"My father is not a good king." Fjolnir agreed. "The people would naturally believe his son was raised to be the same. If they saw a leader, a strong leader with the ideals of the people in his heart and a strong family line... They would choose him, for good reason."

I scoffed. "And Freyr would rather ruin a realm then give up that power?"

"Can you say you wouldn't?"

"Yes!" I nearly shouted. "If it meant that my home was destined for destruction and failure, I would give it up in a heartbeat! How is that not common sense?!"

Fjolnir smiled up at me, a small chuckle escaping his lips. "You're far more righteous than anyone else I know."

"Fjolnir..."

"I know, Dagny." He sighed, "I don't wish to fight with you. If my father committed such monstrosities, I trust he will see the fate he deserves. I, however, choose to stray from the commotion. I hope you don't judge me for that."

I sighed as I sat beside him, ignoring the small, sweet smile that now adorned his face.

"No, I don't blame you."

"Thank you, princess." He hummed. "You are... A breath of fresh air, truly."

"Thank you, Nir." I whispered behind a breath.

Why was I so emotional? I couldn't pinpoint it. Perhaps it was just the discussion at hand, the idea that my family was killed... For being good people? What kind of reason is that?

I had to admit, in my desire to keep my past family separate, I had automatically pressed blame onto the victims and assumed they, or Fafnir, had done something worthy of fighting. The new memories of my father, the idea that they could have been good people who were slaughtered at the hands of a jealous megalomaniac was... Overwhelming, to put it in the simplest of terms.

I held strong, staring at the water as I refused to break. I wouldn't. I couldn't.

That was until I felt Fjolnir's hands wrap around me, the scent of pine and wildflowers filling my senses and his steady breathing breaking the dam I had been attempting to build.

"I know." He whispered against my hair as tears flowed down my cheeks and onto his chest. "They didn't deserve it. You didn't deserve it. I'm sorry."

His hand ran through my hair for a minute before I pulled away, scoffing out a laugh as I wiped my face.

"How fucking pathetic."

"No, not at all, princess." The prince beside me said softly. "Your feelings are valid. I'm... I'm thankful that you feel safe enough to show them around me. Even in such a delicate situation." His hand reached mine again and he gave a reassuring squeeze.

"Thank you, Nir."

"Anything for you. Always."