Chapter 123

Marlie's POV

Flying next to my husband in our perspective suits was one of my favorite things in the world. Even when we were on missions knowing Tony was in the air watching my back was always exhilarating. It's one of the few things I enjoy about the heroing life.

We approach the old Hydra base, that was covered in white snow and land side by side at the entrance. The stolen quinn jet was parked outside, which told me that Steve and Bucky were already inside, along with Zemo. Tony took the lead as we cautiously enter the building.

"Friday, scan for life forms." I said as I looked around the deserted base.

I watched as Friday scanned the building from my screens and finally landing on the floor.

"There are two heat signatures on the lower level. There's an elevator 50 feet straight ahead that should lead you down there."

Tony and I follow the path Friday highlighted in front of us and we found the elevator. We walked in and I pressed the button for the floor just below us. A moment later the elevator arrived but didn't open. Tony stepped forward and used his suit to pry the doors open.

On the other side of the doors stood Steve and Bucky both in defensive positions. Steve had his shield up in front of him and Bucky stood behind him holding up a large gun. I rolled my eyes when they didn't relax upon see it was us.

"You seem a little defensive." Tony called as he lowered his helmet while still standing in front of me as he approached the two soldiers.

"It's been a long day." Steve said as he slowly approaches still maintaining his stance.

I then lowered my own mask and approached just as slowly until Tony, Steve, and I were standing in front of each other.

"At ease soldier. We're not currently after you." Tony said speaking to Bucky.

"Then why are you here?" Steve asked, looking at me.

I'm about to respond but Tony beats me to it. "Could be your story's not so crazy. Maybe. Ross has no idea we're here. I'd like to keep it that way." Tony states as he went and casually leaned against the wall.

"Otherwise, we'd have to arrest each other, and I've heard that doesn't go over so well in marriage." I added with a light chuckle.

Steve finally relaxes at me joke and gives us a small smile. "Well, that sounds like a lot of paperwork. It's good to see you, Eddie, Tony."

"You too Steven" I said with a mischievous smile, which earned me a look in return.

Tony then scoffs as he noticed that Bucky was still on the defensive. "Hey, Manchurian Candidate, you're killing me. There's a truce here. You can drop..."

Steve brings up his hand signaling to Bucky that he can lower his weapon, which he does. I shoot Bucky a quick smile. He lowers his gun and gives me a slight nod in greeting. I guess it's better than nothing. I was hoping that our little chat at the airport would earn me more than that, but I'll take what I can get.

Now that our truce has been established, I replace my gold and black helmet and Tony his red and gold one. Tony took the lead followed closely by Steve, then me and Bucky. We our way through the base. It was a creepy place, with it's empty halls, strange machinery, and broken glass.

"I got heat signatures." Tony suddenly said as we approached the targeted room.

"How many?" Steve asked.

"Uh, one."

The room suddenly came to life. The six cryo-freeze chambers were lit in yellow lights and cold fog streamed out of them. The four of us approached slowly looking for any signs of movement but seeing none.