Birthday

It's my birthday

It's my birthday. But everything's been going wrong. Well for one, our flight got canceled because there's a snow storm going on, Valeria is sick, the power is out and I'm in a overal shitty mood.

Val cried and kick as I tried to give her medicine. "It taste like chocolate just open your mouth." I held her down as she cried and kicked. I eventually gave up and she let out three little sneezes in a row.

I went to the kitchen and got some apple sauce. I mixed the perfect ratio of medicine and apple sauce before I went up to her and she opened her mouth after she inspected it. I gave it to her and she made a stank face as she slowly swallowed it.

"Cookies" she reached for the pack of cookies that was left out on the counter.

I gave her one and she went to my bed and laid down beside me. Sooner or later she fell alseep.

I sat up overwhelmed. During all of this Jovian was still trying to figure out a way to make my birthday special. But it's just a regular day with bad situations.

Jovian softly knocked on the door. "Is she good?"

"Yeah I just got her to go to sleep.." I sat up and she squirmed around

"How've you been?"  He asked sitting on the edge of the bed.

"I'm fine, just making sure Val is okay today." I pushed her wild hair out of her face.

"Im sorry everything didn't go as planned"

I shrugged "It's fine I told you I didn't want to celebrate. I just want it to be a normal day." I smiled standing up and walking out of the room. There were candles all around the house so technically we still had some light. I went to the other room where I kept some of my other stuff.

I closed the door wanting some privacy right now as I started going through pictueres me and Kayden captured over the years. I cried some as I looked back on what my life used to be.

Kayden wasn't the best brother at times but he was still there in a way that strengthened our bond.

Our dynamic was complicated. Completely, how much we both endured. For the longest I used to always think that me taking everything I did in the Forster homes was to help Kayden. And that this was sme repaying him for everythings he's done.

I always prioritized his happiness over my own. To a point where I wasn't even living for myself anymore. Now that he's gone it's sad, but I feel like I'm finally free of something.

Like we were chained together and as he moved in I was dragged through the dirty to keep up, and I don't resent him or I'm not mad at him about it because I felt like I was doing him a favor.

Today I don't want to celebrate at all. It's reminding me of how life really used to be.

I stared down at the picture of me on our 15th birthday. Tears streaming down my face as I stood their soaked in god knows what.