020: Stupid Emperor

It's another lively day in the academy as the selection is getting nearer and near.

Eugene and Timber who had already been listed in the Warfare selection practice swordsmanship every day. Eugene wanted to help Timber polish his swordsmanship before the actual selection and seeing Timber quickly learning everything, he couldn't help but feel nostalgia since Timber and he is once a comrade in a battle but because Timber got injured, he let go of his beloved sword and just study music.

He knew Timber's strength and ability.

But he doesn't want the past to repeat so he really wanted Timber to just enter the music department. However, he can't force such a desire on Timber who love swordsmanship more than music.

SFX: clatter

A sound of metal clashing resounds on the training ground.

Timber is already sweating, counterattacking Eugene's move.

Eugene, on the other hand, is still calm but if you look closely, his pair of eyes seems to be full of storm, excitement, and familiarity. Sparring with Timber makes Eugene hallucinate the past when they were both practicing swordsmanship so he couldn't control himself and push Timber to the limit.

"Ngh!"

Timber block Eugene's sword with a painful expression.

Eugene's leaking mana is too strong for him to handle and he didn't expect Eugene to be so strong that he was being overpowered every moment their sword touch each other.

SFX: clang

In the end, Timber's sword flew out of his hand and his body dropped to the floor because of such an impact.

This awakens Eugene's senses and seeing Timber on the ground with a painful expression, his face turns ugly, and immediately panics. 

"Timber!" 

Throwing his training swords aside, Eugene carry Timber and make his (Timber) body rest on his lap and started to transfer his mana to Timber for recovery.

"I-I'm sorry--" he couldn't control his excitement and forgot that the Timber in front of him is not the same as the Timber in the past.

"Ah, I-It's alright--" Timber gasped, "Ughh."

Eugene's hand trembles and seeing Timber's expression loosening, he let out a sigh of relief.

"Should we stop today?"

Timber nodded his head and continue to lay his body on Eugene's lap.

"You're too strong Eugene~"

Eugene chuckled, "Am I?"

"Yup. I was pressured by your aura and I feel like facing a professional."

"Well...I'm quite a veteran."

Timber just throws a weird look at Eugene, thinking that his friend got a bit big-headed because of his praise. But what he didn't know is that Eugene is far more than a veteran. He couldn't be called like that no matter what. Because for him, he is just nothing but a survivor.

Eugene is aware of it.

Living in between or in exceed. 

Everything in him is nothing normal.

"I can't beat you but I'm confident enough to pass the test tomorrow. If I could pass, remember to buy me a cake and celebrate because, from that day, I won't be the weak Timber anymore! I'm sure mother would be happy if she knew that I will join imperial knight in the future!"