097: Ascension [1]

The grand palace doors swung open, welcoming the invited nobles who had assembled to witness another significant chapter in the history of the four pillar families.

The center figures of the events have yet to arrive. 

Nevertheless, the absence of the central figures didn't deter the attendees from engaging in hushed conversations and speculations. They pondered the implications of Duke Viltaria and Marquis Shradinza's simultaneous exile on the day of their son's momentous ascension. 

The intrigue surrounding the event was palpable.

"I can't believe Young Master Eugene is also born to a man."

"It's scandalous! Noble women are being overlooked!"

Cadmus and Brittany's expressions darkened upon hearing those words. As they had just arrived, they were greeted by countless inquisitive gazes. Brittany was annoyed, while Cadmus was infuriated by the fact that the Duke's household would now have such a scandalous history associated with it, destined to be passed down to future generations.

Brittany elegantly opened her fan and discreetly covered her mouth, her narrowed eyes casting icy glares at the nobles who had been gossiping. Her gaze served as a silent warning, offering them an opportunity to reconsider their words and close their mouths before they incurred her wrath. The sudden intervention by Brittany caused the nobles who had been engaged in conversation to promptly clamp their mouths shut, resulting in an uncomfortable and stifling silence that hung in the air.

Brittany broke the silence with a firm but refined voice, stating, "How terribly impolite it is to discuss the Duke's household in such a disrespectful manner." 

Her words carried a hint of reproach, underscoring the impropriety of their gossip.

Cadmus cast a stern side-glance, his eyes shooting a withering glare towards those who had been gossiping. His disapproval was evident in his expression, serving as a silent warning against further indiscreet talk.

The nobles, well aware of the immense influence of the Del Viltaria family, dared not risk offending them further. With reluctance, they could only grit their teeth, lower their heads, and bear the weight of their shame, their hushed conversations now turned inward.

Brittany held a deep resentment for her father. Her hatred extended to the Marquis as well, understanding the anguish her mother experienced each night as she wept in her sleep, burdened by a guilt that should never have been hers to bear. 

This suffering was inflicted upon her mother by her own father, the Duke, who ceaselessly accused her of usurping the Marquis's position to become the sole Duchess.

Brittany: "Why haven't Brother and Mother arrived yet?" 

Cadmus guides her sister to a place with fewer people.

"Brother and Mother arrived to pay their respects to the emperor. It's likely that there's something the emperor wishes to discuss with them before they proceed to the ceremony."

Brittany just hummed and looked around.

Soon, the arrival of the Shradinza family drew the immediate attention of the assembled nobles, causing them to turn their heads toward the newcomers.

Eunice made her entrance, her arm linked with her brother's. She adorned a radiant smile and was resplendent in her yellow dress, radiating a bright and cheerful presence. Brittany, upon catching sight of her step-sister, narrowed her eyes slightly and cast her gaze downward. She couldn't help but wonder how Eunice managed to maintain such a radiant smile despite the turmoil within their family.