078: Visited By The Brothers

Eugene upheld his promise to Kaizer.

He re-examined Timber's condition and subsequently retired to Kaizer's room for the night. However, sleep evaded him as Kaizer persistently flirted and attempted to seduce him. Eugene remained impervious to Kaizer's advances, withdrawing into a state of consciousness that transported him to the Fatum realm. He cared little about what Kaizer might do to his physical body, as long as he could find rest.

The following day, his brother Euric arrived early in the morning.

Having barely seen his brother, even during the court trial, Eugene was taken aback by Euric's seemingly overnight maturation.

"How are you by staying here?" Euric inquired.

Euric gently patted his younger brother's head and sighed.

"I heard the rumors, but I couldn't bring myself to believe that you could do such a thing. Nevertheless, you must explain everything to me so that I can quash these circulating rumors before they have any adverse effects on you."

"I apologize, brother," Eugene replied, his guilt evident on his face.

"Did you really do it?" Euric asked, observing his little brother closely.

"Well, brother, you know that Timber is merely a friend. Kaizer misunderstood the situation, and it's partly my fault for not providing an explanation. We have already discussed this matter, and even the grand duke has decided not to pursue it as long as I resolve it myself."

"You brought Timber here?! What happened?!" Euric exclaimed.

Eugene took a deep breath before responding.

"An incident occurred within the Rozans family. I had no choice but to rescue Timber, as Timber's stepbrother intended to force Timber into marriage. I couldn't stand idly by and let that happen."

Euric's eyes widened in surprise.

"Such a thing happened?!"

Euric furrowed his brow, holding his chin. "So, you brought Timber to the grand dukedom to protect him from Klius Rozans? But, Eugene, this is a serious problem. The Rozans could persecute you for your actions. Our parents are already imprisoned—I cannot bear to see you stand trial for a crime."

"I am well aware of that, brother."

Euric massaged his forehead, deep in thought.

"But don't worry, brother. Kaizer will not allow such a thing to happen. If I were to face persecution, our engagement would be put on hold. Kaizer will prevent it from progressing any further; I am certain of that."

Euric gazed at his younger brother, dissatisfied with the response.

"Eugene, manipulating someone's affection for personal gain is not morally right."

Eugene's eyelashes trembled as he clenched his fists.

"It's human nature, brother. It's a matter of survival instinct."

Euric shook his head. "No. I will find a way to help you. I can see that you don't hold much affection for the young grand duke, yet you agree to marry him for the sake of our family's benefit. I cannot let you lose yourself. If you continue to receive favors from the Karsten family, you will become trapped. When you eventually wish to escape, you won't be able to, as the Karsten family will have too many claims over you."

Eugene bit his lip.

"You misunderstand, brother. I agreed to be Kaizer's spouse because we have plans to be together. It is not solely for the sake of our families' benefits or the merging of the two households."