096: Cede Ceremony

"This area is restricted!" 

As Milan sat amidst the grass, engrossed in the delicate act of playing with flowers, he suddenly lifted his head. His gaze fell upon the guards accompanying him, who had unsheathed their swords in response to an unexpected intruder stumbling into the area where he, a prisoner of war, was being held.

Ever since his arrival in the Yuinshiel Empire and his subsequent captivity within the palace, Milan had been anxiously anticipating a visit from Eugene. However, as days turned into weeks, it became apparent that he had been seemingly forgotten by the one person who knew his origin and the circumstances of his presence.

"How dare you point your sword at the Pope!" 

Bishop Veroncio's stern gaze fell upon the guards, who quickly stiffened and offered their apologies.

On this particular day, the Pope and Bishop Veroncio had arrived at the palace for the upcoming cede ceremony, which would take place under the gracious auspices of His Majesty the Emperor. The Pope had been invited to bless the three lords of the Pillars families and officially bear witness to the transfer of leadership.

Upon their arrival, Bishop Veroncio had encouraged the Pope to rest, but the latter insisted on taking a stroll, as it had been some time since he had visited the palace.

Bishop Veroncio, unable to dissuade the Pope from his decision, chose to accompany him, lest any untoward incidents occur. However, his unfamiliarity with the palace's layout led them into a restricted area, and the impudence of the guards who pointed their swords at the Pope ignited his anger.

"Since when did this area become restricted?" 

Yitiach questioned, scanning his surroundings until his gaze landed upon an individual seated amidst the grass, surrounded by an assortment of freshly picked flowers.

Yitiach's pupils dilated in surprise.

"Who is this man? This is the first time I've laid eyes on him. He doesn't appear to be a native of the Yuinshiel Empire," he mused aloud, his curiosity piqued.

Upon meeting the man's gaze, Milan involuntarily flinched and gradually released the flowers he had been holding. He nervously averted his gaze away from the man, quickly seeking refuge behind the guards, hoping to go unnoticed and avoid any further attention.

"Your eminence, this is a prisoner of war," The guards explained. "This area has been designated solely for his use. The Emperor wishes for the man to be treated as a guest but with necessary restrictions, as he possesses information that could prove immensely valuable to the empire."

Milan frowns and purses his lips.

That being said, no matter what the emperor had no intention to use him. Milan doesn't know what Eugene did but despite being a prisoner of war he wasn't treated badly. 

Eugene told him to wait but for how long?

Being in one place is boring, he doesn't feel like living anymore.

"Prisoner of war?"

Yitiach delved into deep thought as his gaze remained fixed on Milan. 

Suddenly, a memory resurfaced—one of a person brought back to the empire by his cousin. If his recollection served him correctly, this individual was the very person captured by Eugene Shradinza during the war, brought back due to his exceptional intelligence, which held the potential for groundbreaking innovations.

The very person sought after by researchers in the fields of science and technology.

Milan Fullanza.

A subtle smile curved on the corner of Yitiach's lips as he voiced his thoughts, "How intriguing."