093: Tea and Intrigue

"Eugene, it's been quite some time."

Eugene lifted his head and grinned, "Lord Keerto, I'm delighted to see you outside the annex palace."

Keerto chuckled, and Khalil, who stood behind his mother, made a slight pout.

"I simply wanted to see my future daughter-in-law."

Keerto took a seat and inquired, "How is my son doing? Is he not causing you any trouble?"

After all, Keerto recently noticed how possessive and attached Katnier was to him, so he wondered if his eldest son shared similar traits. Thus, he sought to spend time with Eugene to see if he [Eugene] was finding it challenging to keep up with his son.

"A common occurrence. Nothing will change."

Khalil pouted upon hearing his sister-in-law's response and remarked, "Mom, I told you they're a perfect match. Even if they argue, it's my brother who will end up being beaten."

Eugene raised an eyebrow and took a sip of his tea, glancing at Khalil, who stood behind the grand duchess and asked, "You don't have class?"

"My father requested my absence as I was instructed to accompany my mother."

A faint movement of Eugene's lips is noticed.

He ponders whether the directive entails mere companionship for the grand duchess or a vigilant watch to prevent Lord Keerto from escaping once more, as he had done before.

Keerto let out a sigh and addressed his daughter-in-law: "I advised him not to concern himself, emphasizing Khalil's education as more crucial. However, your father-in-law remains unyielding, persistently expressing his apprehensions about my well-being."

Eugene possessed no knowledge regarding the grand duchess's physical state, yet he was aware of his (Keerto) amnesia following his departure from the grand duke. Despite his curiosity, he believed it wise not to intrude excessively, allowing the two adults to manage their own predicaments. He speculated that the grand duke was likely delving into Lord Keerto's history subsequent to his escape.

In that case, as the mission executes, the grand duke delves into the mystery surrounding Lord Keerto's disappearance. If there exists a hidden force aiding Lord Keerto in evading the grand duke's pursuit, it is likely that this force is also responsible for Lord Keerto's memory loss.

This endeavor could either intend to safeguard Lord Keerto from the grand duke's influence or simply aims to ensure Lord Keerto never returns to disrupt the grand duke's affairs. Neither of these possibilities bodes well.

It is bound to push the grand duke to the brink of madness.

While engaged in conversation in the living room for a brief period, Kaizer entered with a serious countenance. He glanced at his mother and younger brother, offering a mere nod in greeting, before making a beeline for Eugene. He approached in haste, encircling his beloved from behind in an embrace, and inquired, "Would you be interested in accompanying me to the Del Viltaria Household?"

Eugene's eyelashes quivered, and he emitted a soft hum.

"What is the purpose of your visit there?"

Leaning in, Kaizer pressed a kiss to Eugene's forehead before explaining, "I must confer with Casimin about the territory. Reports from father regarding West Astrum have arrived. We require the Del Viltaria's collaboration concerning the ongoing mission mandated by the emperor."

—Eugene didn't decline and excused himself from the grand duchess's presence.

They first changed their clothes then entwining their hands, they descended the staircase. Waiting below, Keerto's countenance brightened upon spotting the duo.