100: Reset...

"I'm here, what do you want to say?"

Eugene stood in front of Arkiton, facing him as if he were a stranger. While Arkiton had anticipated this reaction, there lingered a palpable sense of loss as he gazed upon his son, the one he had once abandoned.

"I wanted to make it clear, why I did something I know would never be forgiven."

"Say it" 

Eugene's expression remained unreadable.

"I love your father so much. It's the kind of love that I wanted to keep your father hidden, out of touch to the outside."

Eugene's expression darkened upon hearing this, even though he had a grasp on how people can be mentally ill in this world. After all, he can't deny he also becomes ambitious and paranoid. It's nothing new to the point such a feeling became normal.

"When I first met your father, I already knew he was supposed to be mine. So, I did everything to make him like me. I went to the extent of pretending to be good, just so he would lower his guard around me. And I succeeded; your father fell in love with me, and we both loved each other." 

Arkiton chuckled, his gaze fixed on the ground. While his expression softened when talking about their love, the madness in his eyes couldn't be concealed.

"However, my love for your father was seen as a burden by your grandfather, as he wanted me to take a woman who could give birth to an heir, something I didn't want." Arkiton released a heavy sigh, his eyes filled with coldness as he recalled the past.

"Your grandfather couldn't accept your father, to the point where he started to interfere with our relationship, causing everything I had worked hard for to disappear. That's when I began to plan how to kill your grandfather so I could be with your father."

Eugene's eyelashes trembled, but he maintained his composure.

In his five lifetimes in Artha, Eugene had no knowledge of this grandfather of his. All records of the former duke had disappeared after death. Now, he realized it was likely his father who destroyed those records as a form of revenge.

"But while I was planning, your grandfather managed to sever my relationship with your father, leading to Aison's marriage with that woman. Filled with anger and thinking that your father had betrayed me and couldn't fight for our love, I married a woman from a traitor's family. It was not only to get back at your father but also to exact revenge on your grandfather."

Arkiton gritted his teeth.

If given the chance repeatedly, he would still make the same decision of killing his father. Again and again, if it meant keeping Aison by his side forever.

"After my marriage, all I could think about was your father's betrayal and that woman's existence. I couldn't get a good night's sleep, tormented by the thought that your father was sharing a bed with another woman. It drove me to the point where I considered assassinating your father's wife. However, every time I attempted it, your grandfather thwarted my plans. To make matters worse, that woman's family was influential, and it took me years to weaken the Bliastiva Family and corner the viscount who doted on his daughter so much." Arkiton laughed manically as he recounted his actions.

"All I wanted is to be with Aison."

Eugene's heart began to race. Despite having some knowledge of this part from reading his father's life record, hearing the entire scenario from the mastermind himself invoked a different set of emotions.

"But, since I had yet to produce any heir after my marriage, I didn't expect your grandfather to plot against me. He drugged me so I would sleep with Krishna and impregnate her. Your grandfather succeeded because Krishna is fertile; she immediately conceived Zevi. All I could do was hide that child's existence. However, it didn't take long for the news of Celisha's pregnancy to make me realize that it was a well-laid plan by my father to utterly crush my hopes."