072: Move On For Now

Eugene withdrew his consciousness from the celestial realm.

Upon reopening his eyes, he beheld Kaizer sitting beside him, gripping the crimson strands suspended in the air, wearing a cold expression as he appeared lost in contemplation.

"Kaizer."

"Are you awake?"

Eugene exhaled and stared vacantly at the ceiling. "You can ask. I'll answer."

Kaizer fixated his gaze upon Eugene's face, clutching the red string in his hand."You've stolen the goddess's power?"

Eugene emitted a soft sound, unable to meet Kaizer's eyes, brimming with indescribable emotions. He had not anticipated Kaizer discovering the truth in this manner. While he harbored no intention to conceal his power, he recognized Kaizer's curiosity about his ascension to godhood, prompting him to reveal the underlying truth behind the potent force he had pilfered from the goddess.

"I have."

Kaizer's eyes darkened. "Do you grasp the magnitude of your power?"

I'm well aware so I don't use much of it for I fear the heavens would detect me."Silence enveloped the room.

Kaizer displayed an undeniable anger, yet maintained an air of composure, scrutinizing the ethereal threads of fate that hovered around.

"Eugene, you never cease to astonish me."

Eugene chuckled. "If you're angry, let it show."

"I'm not angry. I am merely concerned. Possessing such power grants you access to both the past and future, unveiling the kind of lives you have lived."

Eugene pursed his lips. "And they were far from splendid. It is an overwhelming burden.""Yes, I understand."

Kaizer relinquished the red string and tenderly caressed Eugene's cheek.

"You had an affair with that woman, didn't you? After all, you could not obtain her power without intimate contact, unless you resorted to directly eliminating her, which would not be wise since it would expose your existence to the heavens."

"Given the circumstances, I had no choice."

Kaizer smiled softly. "Is she still alive?"

Eugene trembled as Kaizer's half-hearted smile contained no trace of emotion."No, I killed her after absconding with half of her divine power, leaving traces of her essence in the realm to evade detection by the heavens."

"Hmm. So she is dead."

"Kaizer..."

Eugene grasped Kaizer's hand. ""Now, can you still say that you forgive me?"

Kaizer tilted his head.

"Yes, because I will not let you slip away."

Eugene's heart began to race as he wearily smiled. Kaizer was resolute and oblivious to retreat. Physically harming Kaizer was within his capabilities, but inflicting emotional wounds upon the person who had accompanied him for millennia was simply too much for him.

Kaizer reclined on the bed, cradling Eugene's head, allowing him to rest upon his arm.

"If you encounter any difficulties, share them with me. Do not bear them alone."

Eugene's vision blurred, his eyes reddened.

"Kaizer, I had resolved to live and exact vengeance upon the heavens, but the longer I remain here, the hidden truths from my past keep unraveling, leaving me utterly exhausted."