6 | 𝐨𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐫𝐨𝐚𝐝

Desmond

We are in a cargo truck on our way to a supposed cabin, Lucy driving with Shaun as passenger, Rebecca and I in the back with her equipment and Deimos standing beside me. The air is tense after Deimos' showdown against Vidic's men, all of them dead with her hidden blade, some with her sword, her golden armor splattered by drops of red.

"Here you go, got the Animus all hooked up for you to play with on the way." Rebecca cuts the silence as she finishes setting up the machine.

I raise my hands and turn to look at her.

"Alright, but I've got some questions first. I mean, what the hell was that in the Vault?." I question, hoping that the Goddess is the one that answers.

"What you saw proves that the Templars aren't our biggest threat. Not by a longshot." Lucy answers while keeping her eyes on the road.

"So the sun is what? Gonna cook the Earth?." I notice how Deimos' markings... dim? her good eye staring into space.

Lucy explains how such event could happen, all the while the others pay attention to her, her every word making my skin crawl with slight fear. Shaun turns a bit in his seat to look at us who are in the back.

"It's meant to be stuff of pseudo-science, but clearly something catastrophic happened to the people of the first civilization—." He stops abruptly and diverts his eyes to Deimos, who has been as still as a corpse the whole time.

I turn to see that her markings are now.. gone. Simply vanished in a matter of seconds, her eyes looking at nothing but the ground of the truck.

"Oh shit, God.. I'm sorry, Deimos I—I didn't mean to bring—I'm insensible, sorry.. I'll shut up now." He staggers on his words as his neck and ears grab a pink color, embarrassed that this topic is coming up at the wrong moment.

We cut the conversation short, not wanting to—by the looks of it—upset the blood stained goddess even more. Whatever it was that strange woman meant, it clearly takes all confidence away from the one who should be guiding me to understand all of this better.