33 | 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐦𝐞𝐫𝐚𝐬

Rebecca

I log off the databank, biting the edge of my nails by the scene I just saw. Deimos fraternizing with the Templars, moreover the most dangerous one, the leader of Sigma Team, Juhani Otso Berg.

I close my eyes to get away from those thoughts, knowing full well that all of that is not real. She is only doing this for her survival.. right?.

I shut off my computer and leave the others around me turned on, keeping as much tabs as they can on Deimos, their fucked up project, and Abstergo in general. I get up and sigh, not knowing how I will share the news with Bill, the older man wanting updates every once in a while.

My feet guide me over to random corridors, arriving to his office in no time. I dreadfully open the door and mentally wince for his reaction. He nods and signals to a chair, I take a seat, fully preparing the speech in my mind.

"What's her status?." A hint of what may be hope is laced on his voice, the man being fond of the woman who was willing to sacrifice herself for his sons life.

"Uh, she.. she's fraternizing? you could say.. with them. Well one really but—." He stops me by raising a hand, William's features going dark.

"What do you mean? With who?." Sternness coats every fiber of his being.

"Uh, Otso Berg and his right hand, da Costa. But more with him, I'm afraid. Remember the 'shock chip' on her neck? He was seen.. just literally right now, erm.. curating the wound. They had a moment where they just.. didn't say a word, but their facial expressions spoke volumes." He runs a hand over his face and sighs, definitely not contempt with the news. I stop his running thoughts with an idea, or at least something akin to it.

"Maybe it's just for show! A survival tactic. Gain the confidence of the enemy, 'become' one of them to buy some time. I'm sure she's doing this out of confidence, she knows we're coming back for her." He scoffs and looks at me with a look that screams 'you dumb bitch'.

"If she were so confident, she wouldn't have ignored you the first time, where you clearly gave her a message. Neither of us know her well enough, but you don't need to even be her family member to notice how upset she is. Yes, she's in survival mode, but that doesn't stop the angry thoughts she must be having against us. After all, we left her alone with people she never has gone against. She is now learning what the Templars are, she will be played with, maybe even brainwashed to attack us." He gets up from his chair and paces around the room, stopping in front of a small photo.

"You're afraid of her?." He keeps his back turned and shakes his head.

"Of where her mind will take her. She's a Goddess, after all. She can choke the hell out of us with just her mind alone, and under the influence of the Templars.. I wonder what he would say if he saw this mess." He whispers, looking down at a frame, I smile a bit, already knowing the picture he's admiring.

"He would.. probably yell at us and be at their doors in a second. He loved and looked up to her like a little brother does, he'd be mad as hell." He turns and keeps his eyes downcast, Desmond's death still being a very raw subject.

His eyes raise and meet mine, the man nodding over to the door. I understand my cue and get up from the chair, I'm stopped by his voice just as I take the handle.

"Rebecca.. not a word of any of this to Shaun. He's already in a bad mood as it is, this will only add fuel to the fire." I nod in understanding, my friends mental state not being in the best place.

He's been downcast ever since we left Canada, the man exploding in an extremely rare fit of anger when we arrived to the Altaïr II, and being in absolute silence ever since, only necessary words coming from him very once in a while, his bond with Deimos becoming affected by the distance.

I can't help but feel bad for him, he's in denial about his feelings, but doesn't see that they are the cause of so much pain. If he'd only accept them, maybe it would be slightly easier for him to get his thoughts in order, to work efficiently in the matter of saving his beloved. But all he does all day is stay in his office, creating and editing database entries while eating endless amounts of Jolly Rancher candy.

I just want everything to go back the way it was, with Deimos here, scaring the shit out of everyone with her glares. Shaun to become his eccentric and egoistical self. And for this hideout to become strict and demanding, instead of this sorrowful dark pit it has become as of late.

I only want my life back.