92 | 𝐭𝐨 𝐡𝐨𝐧𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐧

[play when prompted]

Tuscany, Italy

May 24, 2017

I exit the taxi that brought me here, the nice old man driving it thanking me for the money given to him as he opens the trunk, letting me take the long briefcase I brought with me alongside a backpack.

I close the trunk and signal the man, this one leaving as he brings his hand out the window in a farewell. I wait until he's gone and walk further inside the location, setting the case down and rummaging through the backpack, fishing out a drone and an earpiece.

I look around me and make sure the coast is clear, the setting sun letting people know that the time to sleep is close by. I place the earpiece where it belongs and turn on the London-modified drone, the antennae still having a strong connection with the Hephaestus Network as Rebecca's voice comes through.

"Dee! So good to finally hear from you. Shaun's been nagging about your location as of late. And also, the big boss is back and with a new recruit. Hey guys, come here, I got a connection!." The drone circles me and I smile at the female through the camera.

"Oh bloody hell! What took you so long? Are you alright? Where are you exactly?." Shaun calls out suddenly, his affection making my stomach flutter, the distance not being enough for him to turn his back on me.

"Kid, that's some reckless shit you did there. Four memories at once? Who does that? And where are you?." Williams fatherly concerned voice comes through, the trio not letting me answer questions one at a time.

"Just follow me, I want to go back as soon as possible." I beckon the drone as I pick up the case and start walking down the stoned path, going up some rounded step beside a familiar fountain.

"You're.. at the Auditore Villa again? What are you doing there?." I ignore William as I continue to walk behind the building, looking for the way inside.

I enter the ruined doorway that we once used, being careful to not slip and hurt myself with the debris. I walk around the still turned table and over to the opened wall that leads to the secret passage downstairs to the armor room.

I'm careful going down as it seems that the steps are also caving in with the years, a few cables running on the ground as well. I exhale when I arrive safely and with no problems to my destination, the statues of all the Assassin heroes surrounded by pieces of equipment that got left behind when we left in a hurry about six years ago.

"Oh shit.. everything's still there." Rebecca's gloomy voice comes through, possible memories of her time with Desmond resurfacing after so much time being left in the grave.

I walk over to a desk at the other side of the room, where a board with multiple fading photos rests beside it. Funny enough, the visible remnants of a splotch of gold remains in the desk, a black spot on the ground beside it.

"It's where you cut yourself and left a handprint, that right there's where we burned what we used to pick the excess up. Guess we didn't do a good job at it though." Shaun says quietly, taking in the sight of his old workstation.

I set the case down and walk towards the statue that always drew my attention, running my finger over the excess of dust on the name plaque.

'Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad'

I sigh as I turn back and crouch to open the case, the bright sight of the sword sitting inside blinding me for a second. I take it in my hands and turn in my place, standing in the middle of the room and facing the statue.

*play audio*

"As if that would stop me." Ares whispers as he comes from behind Altaïr, running a hand over the base where he rests.

"Holy. Fucking. Shit. He's huge." Comes from Rebecca, the drone apparently having some new technology to help them see beyond their eyes. Huh, beyond their eyes?.

Some sort of Eagle Vision.

I ignore the specter and walk forwards with the sword in hand, looking at a centralized circle pattern in the ground.

"Maybe not, but you won't be my shadow anymore." I grip the sword in both hands, this one glowing at the power against it. Hopefully my stunt will work.

"You need me to stay alive! Look at the misery that consumes you. Not even thousands of years can help you see that you are in rock bottom?." I concentrate all my power and channel it into the sword.

"I don't need you. I never did. And I never will." He screams and startles me slightly, making my strength falter and even the drone to slightly loose its flight.

"It is because of me you are still alive! Even after all these years, I have kept you on your feet. When these Templars got you and I was entrusted in your hands again, I helped you see and feel how strong we are. I live within you, beside you. We are one and no one will take that away." I grip the sword and concentrate harder, particles in the ground taking shape. Yes, just keep going.

"The humans have done nothing for you. How long until they leave? How long until he has had enough of you like Loki did?." The others appear around me, hissing at my attempt to getting rid of them.

"This is not home, and you know it. You do not belong here! You belong nowhere!." The particles take shape and grow more, coming up to my neck already, the process being quicker than expected as the sword 'disintegrates', the golden color fading slowly.

I bring the weapon down and grab it by the hilt, pushing into the particles with all my might while still using my power to dissolve it.

"You're wrong. Home is not the people you're born to.." I grimace as my arms start to hurt and burn by the strength needed to complete my project.

I look at the drone in a corner of the floor, the energy in here being too much for the small thing to remain flying. I divert my attention to the ever angry specters that surround me and the almost completed process, the sword in my hands being a wind away from vanishing.

"It's where your heart is." I yell in pain as I push the sword deeper in the particles, a golden glow enveloping the room in a matter of seconds.

Horrible screams are heard all around the room, the specters screaming in pain as the only afterlife source they had vanishes from the world, their essence fading along with it. I lay on the ground clutching my arms, which burn in a crimson golden at the power used and the muscles teared, markings pulsating furiously.

"Deimos! Love? Are you alright!? Fucking hell, answer me!." I painfully get on my knees and look up, the dust of the particles and the specters settling and letting me admire the work I did, making me smile tiredly.

A new golden statue rests in the middle of the room, this one having some jeans and a hood covering his head, the details of the face not being concealed by the article at all. A hand is drawn back with the hidden blade ready to strike, the only difference, is that this statue is not in motion, its only there.. standing, looking to the side and contemplating the stairs that lead outside in an unanswered duty call.

"Oh my God.. Desmond." The older mans voice comes through now, sadness in his voice at what my idea actually was.

Desmond's frame stands in a pillar just like his ancestors', his name written on the material in Greek. I bow down and place my forehead to the ground, revering the first man that ever looked at me as a person, rather than a monster.

"You belong here, brother. May those that come after know of your valor and righteousness." I run my hand on the Greek letters and stand painfully, my muscles protesting against the act.

"My duty here is done, bring me home, Becs." I say into the earpiece, the woman not saying anything but already on her way to help me get back to Peru.

I walk away slowly, looking back to the room once I'm at the top of the stairs. I smile as I watch how he's now plastered on the grounds of his bloodline for the rest of eternity. He wouldn't like a statue of himself to be raised, but hopefully he can see the intention behind this act from wherever he's at right now.

I'll make sure your name is never forgotten.