34 | 𝐛𝐫𝐨𝐤𝐞𝐧 𝐰𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐬

Deimos

September 20, 2014

Months have gone by in the blink of an eye, my stay in Abstergo being between tedious and calm. I've won the confidence—or at least I think I have—of Juhani, the man being more calm around me with time. Violet has also gotten accustomed to my presence, to the point where she now stays in the room with me.

Melanie has also stopped being a nuisance, although she continues to bother me from time to time. Her insistence with the Animus has stopped, especially after the man behind the idea of going through my memories disappeared one day, Garneau's trip to America apparently being intercepted by the Assassins. The woman keeps to herself in her office at the very top of the building, away from everyone and everything.

One of the things that have kept me calm in this place has been that I've been granted free roam access, allowing me to wander the building in full. I can now finally enjoy the rays of the sun from any abandoned office window without being shocked to the core.

Things have been strange with Otso, after he cured my neck he got somewhat distant. Answering questions with only a grunt or a hum, and generally being a pain in the ass to everyone else, to the point where Violet came to me once to complain about it.

It was on the female's insistence that I pried as much as I could for information. After many days of not directing a word to him for his harsh ways, he broke and admitted that he was missing his sick daughter, Elina, who he had left behind with his ex-wife on the other side of the world.

After many weeks of him being closed off after his admission, he came to me one day and just unloaded everything, the man feeling a sense of liberation at the end.

"Thank you." He said while breathing heavily, voice raspy by his emotions.

"Why for?." I said as I grabbed his shoulder and squeezed, the action being favored by the man.

"For the chance to be heard." He glanced and gave a lopsided smile, a rare sight in the ever angry human.

Ever since he's been more liberal, letting me do as I please, with exceptions obviously. Everyday that I arrive to his office, he receives me with a good morning and leaves half of his breakfast untouched for me, seeing as I barely get anything while in the cell. He then takes the chip off before heading out, repeating the same orders every time.

Don't go to the lobby, don't go to the server room, don't go to Melanie's floor, and don't touch any Animus machines or communicators.

Yes sir, it's all I say every time, happy to get this level of freedom.

The situation with the virus has long been eradicated, the man having found enough compromising footage to send to the enemy organization. Even though I saw it as it was playing on his computer, I still can't help but scratch my head at the footage.

Yes, the Assassins had no concept of security back then, all they wanted was the Apples in their grasp to keep free will safe. Yes, they made countless mistakes, like destroy and submerge almost a whole country, yes they failed and yes, the Templars have always tried to keep the Pieces of Eden out of their hands to keep humanity safe from more catastrophes. But their intentions are still clear for those who are not wearing a bandage over their eyes.

To keep humanity safe, at the cost of controlling their minds. People will do, say and act just like they command, all without knowledge and repercussions. Meanwhile the Assassins, who have made mistakes and learned from them, are only stacking them up to protect with every fiber of their being, to help people preserve the liberty they've always fought so hard to achieve.

Despite the things I've learned with the Templars, I still stand by the Assassin's cause and ideals. I laugh mentally at my way of thinking, a few months ago, all I thought about was of how I was going to kill them all for backstabbing me, for leaving me to this fate with an enemy that's more powerful than I remember.

But now I miss them, terribly. William's stoic and abrupt behavior, the one his son despised but admired so much. Rebecca's witty and smart mouth, riling up everyone to desperation. Shaun's incessant questions and dark remarks about how he was better than anyone.

How I miss my friend, the one I could talk to without fear of being judged just like always. One that I knew would do anything to help those in need despite his better judgement. A smart, intelligent, handsome, arrogant and funny man. A package deal for the lack of better words.

I sigh as I arrive to Otso's office, the man having sent a message with Violet to meet him here urgently. The doors silently close behind me and I stop in my tracks, Melanie's slim form standing beside him, a hardened look on his face.

I walk and stand on his other side, his faint scent giving me enough courage and comfort to look the woman in the eyes. She takes a deep breath and examines me, making me slightly uncomfortable.

"Good you're finally here, I will make this quick. Project Rebirth is about to begin, you know what that means, don't you?." My blood freezes at her words, having forgotten about this damn this already.

"Exactly, it means that by around this time next year, a little Demigod should be heard crying around the halls. It's been sometime where you haven't been examined, you will go to the clinic right now and the doctor will check you up. If it all comes with green lights—which I know it will—the project will commence as soon as tomorrow night." Her words don't register as she motions to the door, her orders to go back down with that butcher woman being clear.

I want to do nothing other than tear her apart, but her hand searching through her cardigans pocket halts my mind, already knowing what she'll whip out. She smiles menacingly as I start to walk to the doors, my mind going a thousand miles per hour. I don't want to do this.. I can't anyway but still.

"Miss Lemay, I will kindly remind you that she's still under my protection, which brings us to a stand still. I will not let her be used as an experiment that could fail. You want a perfect weapon? The only way you can have one is by not damaging it. Do you really want such a powerful being to kill us all instead?." Cogs are turning in her head at his words, being quickly replaced by a chuckle and a forced smile.

"You are right, seeing as for this we need many subjects, after all we need the perfect man. We don't want to break it before it can even work.." The perfect man? Are they really going to do as they said once? Bring many men until only one gets the job done?.

I want the Assassins.

"By the 'perfect man' you mean what exactly?." I mentally thank him for making the million dollar question, as humans like to say.

"A fertile one. There's no use in the ones who can't even last three seconds, much less in those who are completely marked by never having their descendants. Preferably one who already has a family, that way we'll cut off the cost of fertility tests for the subjects. And you, why are you still here? Leave now!." She shocks me briefly as she takes notice of my still form, dazing me for a second.

I speed walk out of there in fear of her finger not leaving the button like many times before. The next phase of the project now being a theme of conversation. I feel my stomach turning, the thought that these people only see a mare instead of a person with feelings making my world spin.

I only hope that Otso can make something to hold off this nonsense, he knows how much I don't want this to happen, as well that he's against this insanity since day one.

I need the Assassins.