21 | 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐠𝐨𝐝𝐬

December 22, 2012

We just came back from what will be our last expedition, the small master key being hidden in the grave of Desmond's ancestor. I wring my sweaty hands together, trying to maintain calm for everyone's sake and to keep my plan together.

He holds the glowing key in his hand, the power of the temple looming over it.

"Guess this is it." He looks at everyone who stands in front of him, apprehension in his voice.

Crane comes close and places a slender hand on his shoulder.

"We're right behind you." We all walk behind him, the young man placing the key in its place.

The door starts to disappear, a blinding blue light emanating from it. Once it's gone, we all start walking down the long hall, the figure of a glowing transparent sphere at the end of it.

My heart quickens as I round the group, who huddle together in expectation. Their faces show surprise as I raise a shaky hand, my stance not letting them take a step further.

"You should let me proceed, Desmond. It's better if you all wait here." Incredulity covers all of their faces at my request.

"We went through a lot to find this.. to get here and you want us to let you explore by yourself?." I nod and look to the ground, Miles' words being rather hostile.

"N—no. Not by myself. I.. will just make sure that nothing will spring out and kill you while you're fascinated with the place." I stutter, my fear going by a thousand and getting worse as Desmond takes a step forward.

"But we don't know what's in there other than that glowing ball at the end." I step in his way and place my hand firmly on his chest, his brows furrowing.

"And that's precisely why you will not keep going! I will take the risks." Everyone starts to worry as my scream takes a different tone.

"Yes.. come.." An alluring and familiar voice comes from behind me, my heart quickens.

My pleas fall on deaf ears as they get closer to where her voice comes from. She appears before everyone, greeting the group.

"Here.. at last. You know our story now. Of how we tried. Of how we failed. All our hopes extinguished. Save one. Your touch, a spark. A spark to save the world." She touches the sphere, her smile never fading.

I come close to Desmond and hold his arm firmly, like a mother about to scold her child. He looks unfazed as she speaks, her monologue stopping as another figure comes and interrupts her.

"Wait. Do not touch the pedestal." Alarm is ever present in her eyes as she locks on with mine, making tears come to mine, my emotions going out of control.

"Minerva.." She nods in acknowledgement, Juno's face transforming into rage.

"You.. but how? You left! You destroyed the device." She shouts to her fellow scientist, a serene expression on Minerva's young features.

"Did you think there was only one?." Miles interrupts the mild fight as he grabs Desmond's shoulder.

"What the hell's going on here?." The new addition turns and walks to me, a hidden desperation in her step.

"You must not free her!." I furrow my brows at her words.

"Free her?." Desmond steals the words from my mouth.

"Juno dwells within these walls, awaiting release. While we worked to save the world, she sought to conquer it. She used our machines to set her plans in motion. When we discovered her treachery, we put a stop to it. But it was to late, she had locked the first of her obstacles in a temple, forgotten for generations to come, with only a false hope and prophecy to keep her laying in agonizing wait." I look between them at her words.