10 | 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞 𝐥𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐨𝐧

Deimos

He enters the Animus again, to search for the location of the Apple, I walk around the place, watching the fascinating details of the statues yet again. I hear someone clear their throat behind me, prompting me to turn and cross eyes with Crane.

"So, Dee. What year were you born?." Hastings quickly turns in his seat at the far end of the room, a look of incredulity on his young features. Crane simply munches on some cookies.

I turn my head catching her name calling.

"What did you call me?." Her ears turn red as my tone comes harsher than intended.

"Jesus Christ, Rebecca! Now I confirm that manners were never part of you to begin with, you don't ask that!." He screams loudly, Stillman shaking her head from behind her computer.

I take take time to collect my thoughts and let her question sink in. Nothing to be worked up about. I take a deep breath and raise my hand, signaling to Hastings to calm down and stop attacking the girl.

"I.. thousands of years ago, Crane." She slouches on the chair, looking at me. From behind her, I catch Hastings raising a hand.

"You don't have to answer that if you don't want, it's just that some people don't know what privacy means." He glares daggers at her and throws me an apologetic look.

I signal him to his computer, a brief look of wonder on his face, which lights up as he remembers our partnership. He turns and places his slender fingers on the keyboard, ready to type.

"My home disappeared a few thousand years ago... I was young... maybe around seventy four thousand?." Her eyes widen at my words, Hastings clicking away.

"BCE? Holy fuck.. I'm guessing humans didn't exist? How old were you when.. that happened?." She scoots on her desk, glancing at Desmond's vitals to make sure he is safe.

I swallow the bitterness and take a deep breath.

"Yes, they did exist. We all coexisted, or at least we tried. And I was young, I guess.. thirty one, if memory serves right." Hastings keeps tipping away, glancing my way after I answered her question. Crane marvels at my admission.

"But, hold on. Wouldn't your age now be seventy thousand.. something? Or do you keep your final age?." Hastings turns to me after Cranes questions, wonder hidden in his eyes.

"Technically, yes. Physically, I have kept my 'final age' of thirty one, given the temples and my sword's power never stopped despite circumstances. My 'real' age now would be.. well, a lot." I answer to the best of my ability.

A little 'wow' comes from her and she sends a little smile at me, Hastings sighs while typing away, a look of concentration on his face as he takes out a small device, where he taps away and looks over to the computer and back several times, as well as using his fingers to add to whatever it is he is doing.

Stillman keeps her eyes on the computer, but her eyebrows shoot up as I give the story. This woman makes me heavily uncomfortable, her silence and anger around me making me question if she is hiding something.

After all, the enemy is always known to claw their way in through the good side.