14 | 𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐚𝐥 𝐝𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧

Mister Miles opens the back doors of the van, jumping down and prompting everyone to exit. I jump out looking to my left, where Desmond stands looking over to our final destination, the mouth of a cave which withholds the desired temple.

Hastings, Miles and Crane grab some boxes with their equipment and we start our journey inside the cave. Once we make it halfway we encounter the sealed door, which is now a painted mural by people who had nothing to do but damage ancient property. Malàkas.

Desmond inspects the Apple as it brims with life, recognizing its home. Shadows of old markings reappear with the potent light of the artifact. Desmond closes in and places the Apple on its designated place, the forgotten temple coming to life.

The door opens halfway, prompting us to crouch as low as possible as to not leave our heads hanging the wrong way. We walk a few feet away, only for the hall to get dark, our field of vision dwindling drastically, with the Apple not being much help. I do the same maneuver I did back in Rome, illuminating the place with my markings, a little gasp coming from one of the humans behind me.

A door opens up as Desmond lifts the artifact, a bright blue light shining from the end of the room, where a glowing desk sits. I hurry in front of the others to inspect the object, not wanting any of them to get injured by curiosity.

I inspect the object along with a hole on this 'desk', they seem to be made in the same size. A key.

"Why does your face hold wonder if this was made by your people?." Mister Miles asks, a slightly arrogant tone on his voice.

I place the key over its intended space, ready to push it forward.

"Even we the powerful kept secrets to ourselves. I know of various temples, but this one is new to me. Stay close." I warn them, not wanting some sort of tragedy to befall.

I insert the key and watch in nostalgia and amazement how the place comes to life, markings glowing everywhere and expanding to the tightest of crevices this place has to offer. In the distance, the way forward to the heart of the temple is blocked by a holographic wall.

They all admire the wall, certainly not believing that they are gracious enough to witness this holy ground. My focus is suddenly altered when my vision turns blurry, a voice I know to well accompanying it.

'Welcome back, daughter of chaos.'

I come back to the real world as a hand touches my shoulder, Hastings having placed his box down and checking on me.

"You alright there? Your eye turned white completely." I furrow my brow at this.

"Why not both?." He takes his hands away and snorts, a playful grin on his lips.

"Well, considering one is permanently like that, there's no need to include it." I exhale at the obvious answer, having got used to being half blind one tends to omit the lack of vision as something normal.

As I'm about to answer him, Crane's scream for Desmond brings me back to the situation at hand. I run towards him, his body sprawled on the ground in his unconscious state.

"Crane, Miles, bring the Animus quickly. Hastings help me find a place to set him." They set off running while the latter looks around the place, finding a comfortable spot to place him in.

He beckons me to a spot, I quickly get up from my crouching position and lift him bridal style, his medium build not weighing much for me.

I gently set him down, watching to not hurt his head and make the damage worse.

"I'll get him some fluids, we don't know how long it'll be." Hastings rummages trough the boxes until he finds a med kit, taking out a needle and a small bottle of liquid.

He prepares the injection and administers it from the vein in his elbow crease, my heart racing at this unexpected turn. It has been only three months, and this man feels like a child in need of his mothers guidance, to think I have been like that mother feels fulfilling.

At least I did something good for a second time.

My thoughts stop running as racing footsteps echo down to the temple, Crane and Miles carrying the solicited machine along with the rest of the equipment.

If this is our final ride, it will be a dangerous one.