50 | 𝐭𝐨 𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐩 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐦𝐲

Deimos

I sit in a chair, peeling a pear in pieces with the help of the hidden blade. Shaun's sleeping form inside the sleeping bag, completely passed out. I stand and go towards the next room, where Rebecca sits looking over the monitors intently, the woman having risen form her sleep early to monitor activity.

I offer her the cut up pear, setting it on a napkin beside her. She looks down to it and smiles, thanking me with a whisper. I take another fruit from the stash, feeling nervous and self conscious of everything that went down the night before.

"Becs, I want to say I'm sorry. I shouldn't have insinuated all of that, much less believe it without confirming it first." She turns and stands grabbing my arms and squeezing, a wide smile on her lips.

"Everything's fine, Dee. I'm the one that has to apologize, I gave the wrong impression by getting closer to him than intended. But now, he's all yours, anyone that tries to separate this will have an earful from me." She hugs me tightly and I reciprocate the action, grateful to have an honest friend for once in my life.

We let go and she signals to me, a hint of worry on her face.

"Also, I agree with Shaun, we'll take a closer look and investigate your anger outbursts. You haven't been like that in a while, and frankly, I don't believe it's the mission, or the situation." I nod, feeling a bit relieved that they're going to help me with this mess.

"Thank you. So, any news?." She sighs and sits, holding her head with her hand while looking at the computers.

"Nope. Unless you consider a Templar search party refueling their tanks some news, then no. Nothing." I turn my head at her words.

"Search party? For what? They won't go bombing the city in search of the Shroud." She eats a piece of the pear and swallows, getting a bit agitated.

"For what little I could catch in their radio, they're looking for you. Apparently an emergency, or something. Obviously bullshit." I perk up at her words, being conscious of the events.

"Who gave the message?." She falters and avoids my eyes, giving me an idea of who it is.

"He did." I sigh when her gaze meets mine, a troubled look on her face.

A clang and string of low curses lead me to look back in the direction of the noise, these ones coming from the makeshift bedroom.

"Your man just woke up, why don't you go and smooch with him for a while? Gotta take advantage of the calm moments.. I'll keep you updated of anything. Go." She swats me away while I feel my face get hot, still not being able to believe what's happening.

I.. have a partner. A real one, with real, genuine feelings. I think back to that night a few days ago, the feeling of my heart wanting to leap from my chest as he confessed, feeling ecstatic that he feels just as I do.

I open the door to the decent sized makeshift bedroom, watching how he rubs sleep from his eyes, the lamp on the floor next to him laying sideways. So that's what fell.

"Just woke up and you're making a ruckus." He turns his head and scoffs, a sly, sleepy smile on his lips once he registers who is with him.

I close the door and walk over to him, still holding the fruit. I get on my knees and carefully sit beside him, the male bringing and arm out of the bag and encircling my waist, hand on my lower back.

"Was trying to find my glasses, but that failed tremendously." I snicker and stretch over him, grabbing the extra set of eyes from a bit aways from the lamp.

I get back to my original position and hand them to him, the man thanking me and kissing my hand. He places them on his face and sighs after blinking a couple of times.