20 | 𝐡𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐜𝐡

We arrive to the temple, the key being held firmly in Miles' hands. Desmond thanks me by grabbing my hand on our way down, his face now serene and calm. Crane and Hastings go back to their spots, while Desmond's stopped by his father.

They share hushed words and I observe their bond, the circumstances have shattered it, but it has also been able to mend it back together, albeit still very fragile. The young man heads off to install the last key, fear coursing through my veins as I watch the floor from the other side of the wall come straight towards us, the only move left being the master key.

He comes back and jumps in the Animus, anxious to finish this exhausting journey. I decide to get away from the group and get close to the door, a white robed figure appearing in my right.

"Soon, Goddess. A homestretch away from the truth." She whispers softly, her eyes fixed on the wall.

"I've waited so long for this, and now that I have the opportunity to join everyone in Elysium and finally rest.. I admit I'm not ready." She turns, a peaceful look in her eye. Crazy malàka.

"How so?." She turns her head, confusion evident.

"I don't know.. what will I even say to them? Will Charon even listen to all the things I've done? Or will he just.. throw me in the Styx, down to Tartarus and leave me to deal with Cerberus' wrath?." I sigh just by imagining how I will be received, and where.

"Let your heart open and honest, and the ferryman will do the rest. He will see that you have suffered from your mistakes, and will surely give a peaceful ride of passage." Her words don't do much to calm me, I cross my arms and shuffle, my worry being evident.

She fades as Desmond calls for me, the male surely having seen her. I walk over and look at him, shaking my nerves from the fright.

"I thought you were mid session?." He nods and motions to where I just came from.

"You okay?.. I saw you both.." He whispers and grabs my forearms, squeezing comfortably.

I swallow the bile that rises, nodding and indulging him to continue the search. He sighs and enters the machine, the memories of his ancestor Ratonhnhaké:ton coming to life.

I discreetly move aside, watching the others work silently and focused. My heart is in pain as I watch the people who have—in a way—cared for me more than my family ever did.

Crane, albeit now mad, is a general sweet and confident girl. Her smile and bright sense of humor alleviating every situation.

Miles, although I have not spoken to him much other than back in Abstergo, I can see that he cares deeply, for the Assassins, the world, and his son.

Hastings, the only one that has listened enough to make me feel heard, even if it's nothing but a few pieces of history. Thanks to him, I have been able to adapt to this life and the people very fast, his cheerful and social nature being rather contagious.

Desmond.. a literal child in the body of a grown man. A man that the only thing he wanted to do was become his own person, without having to live with the shadow of a hidden organization over him. To be free, to forge his own path. All of that just.. taken away.

But it doesn't have to end.

I just pray that in time, he will listen to reason.