53 | 𝐠𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐟 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐝𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝

Shaun

I stare out the window, Deimos' sleeping form inside one of the bags in the ground, mine settled next to her waiting for me. I look at her briefly, admiring the glow of gold that envelopes her features by the markings in her neck, their calm demeanor being completely different to what happened hours ago.

Strange.. her anger yesterday seemed.. natural. Not that explosive, hurtful and demanding demeanor that overtakes her and makes her completely hostile, that fuels her with an energy that doesn't seem like her own. But it was simply her.. a woman naturally suffering by the pain of a child, and annoyed of what her people were being called. I might have to dig around for information on that sword.. something's definitely wrong with it.

Still, those traits—wether they're hers or not—are what captivated me from the first moment I saw her fight—Vidic and his men being casually defeated—, to when she infiltrated Abstergo in Desmond's place to save William. How did I get so lucky?.

"What's wrong? Backup's on the way. Why are you pushing yourself so hard? It's not your job to fight Templars." Comes from my earpiece, momentarily being frightened by the sudden noise. I roll my eyes, Bishop's docile voice not exactly being welcomed after the conversation.

But hey, it sounds like someone put her in her place.

"I had this colleague, he was our bosses son. I didn't much care for him since the start, everyone treated him like he was so bloody special. To me, he just was invested in anything that didn't affect him personally. But I was wrong about him, he became my friend, put himself through hell. And Deimos too, she crossed all of that for him.. from waiting a thousand years in solitude to then apparently come out, learn a bit of our ways and be shoved in there again to wait even more.. she was meant to die alongside him, their blood being a necessary sacrifice to keep the world afloat.. and in the end, he saved us all." I take a deep breath, feeling my eyes get hot with tears, his cheerful and stupid personality being of great need in this moment.

The camera on the still drone starts to look around me frantically, I don't pay attention to it, seeing as it has that obligation in particular, keeping us safe. The light touch of fingers start to go up my spine through my suit jacket, a voice making my heart stop in near cardiac arrest.

"You are a good assassin." I stand up quickly, holding a hand to my chest and turning quickly.

"Holy Geez!." I stop and admire the friendly intruder, going around the chair I was sitting on to greet her, a sheepish smile on her face.

"Galina! Blimey, I haven't seen you since we blew up that lab in Paris." I lower my voice, not wanting to wake up the sleeping goddess, who stirs a bit in her place.

"Ah, there were many explosions and you screamed like a baby." I smile warmly, her sense of humor alleviating the sorrow I felt coming up by the story I was telling Bishop.

"Bishop tells me Otso Berg is here, I will kill him for you!." She says happily, placing her hands on either side of my face.

I gently take them and pry them off, the woman's creepy smile going wider. I mentally shiver by the look in her eye, momentarily forgetting how messed up she is.

"Super. Great news. Now, if you don't mind keeping watch, I'm going to lie down and die now." I say and drop her hands, going straight for the bag beside my girl and cautiously getting inside.

"Rest. We have a big fight coming." Her words make the hairs in my arms stand, the tone which she said it not being one I like at all.

I gently place the back of my hand on Deimos's face, stroking her scarred cheek. How did she get it? Was it this injury the one that left her blind?. I command my brain to stop the incoming wave of questions and sling my arm around her, placing my forehead with hers and sighing in the process. My heart starts to hurt with dread for this fight..

Something bad will happen, it always does.