46 | 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐚𝐠𝐞

Shaun

I storm inside Rebecca's room once inside the hotel, having left Deimos in hers in an awkward situation. I hurry over to her room—having not seen her in the kitchen or living room—and open the door, the woman screaming and turning around, her computers opened up in different tasks in the Hephaestus Network.

"Has anyone ever told you you are the most annoying person in the damn world as well as inopportune!?." She frowns and rises quickly, her hot temper rising like bubbles.

"I'm sorry? Who the fuck you think you are to barge in here like that? You talk about manners as if you're a fine example of them and look what you did!." She screeches like an eagle about to catch its prey.

"Why the bloody hell did you call!? I was having a great time, fantastic one.. until my phone rings and your bloody name pops up! Out of everyone that could've called, it had to be you." I run my hand desperately through my hair, the vivid memory of what almost happened replaying over and over.

"Bill told me to contact you after he couldn't find you or Deimos, blame this on him. And what, were you two about to fuck or something?." I turn, seeing red on her at her words, her foul mouth going to an extreme length.

"Oh I'm sorry to burst your bubble, Crane, but not everyone is like you. I'm a gentleman, not a disgusting predator as you are." She cocks her head at my words, apparently taking interest in something else.

"Gentleman? Don't tell me you were hitting on her in a fashionable British way.. you're fucked caused I caught you, now spill the damn beans.. and they better be really fucking hot for your own good. What were you two doing that you're now so explosive with me?." I huff and give her my back, not willing to answer her.

"And don't you damn say 'we were doing nothing' because you were!. You're fidgeting with the sleeves of your sweater, your face is flushed and not only by anger, you can't look me in the eyes, your hair is a fucking rats nest for running your hand though it uncontrollably.. want me to keep going? No? Then talk." I curse her perceptive nature and cuss her in my mind, turning around and sitting on the messed up bed.

"We.. bloody hell.. we almost.. kissed?." She runs and kneels in front of me, a shocked yet excited look on her face.

"Are you shitting me right now!? How did that happen!?." I shush her loud scream, not willing to be interrogated by William on a strange noise complaint. Absolutely not.

"Are you so daft that you didn't understand the word 'almost'? We.. I don't know what the hell even happened, I just found myself close to her.. we were mere inches away Becs, but it went nowhere.." She sighs and sits on the floor, tapping her fingers on the carpet.

"And where is she?." I take my glasses off and clean them, the drops of snow leaving a trail of water on them and annoying my view.

"I left her in her room.. the air was—is—awkward. I don't know how I'll look her in the eyes next time. And when we were almost there, there was this.. wall I'd say.. like she wanted to but couldn't, you know?." She takes off her beanie and plays with a pieces of hair, getting lost in her thoughts.

"That wall's always been there." I perk up a her words, her ears going pink in embarrassment.

"What do you mean? What do you know, Rebecca?." She runs her fingers over her eyebrows and places them on her nose, relieving her anxiety pressure points.

"I'd say that wall is more of uncertainty. She was.. played with, when she was younger. The older she got, the more knowledge she won.. and the more she became closed off. I'm guessing she's only uncertain of her feelings, probably not wanting to risk being tossed out again. That's all I'm saying." I sit in silence as I take her words in.

'Uncertain of her feelings'. It could mean that she loves me, or maybe just likes me but she's confusing things.. or maybe just playing with me like she once was as well..

But in the time she's been with us, she hasn't expressed some sort of maniacal desire to mess around with someone. She's always been closed off, yes, yet little by little she has opened up to us and let us in in a small piece of her life. She grew closer to me than anyone else after Desmond's death, the hurt and betrayal she felt from Juno—who was supposed to grant her the death she so desperately wished—being a factor that drove her closer to the humans around her, and even farther from even the mention of Those Who Came Before.

But now it all makes sense.. kind of. Every little sign that makes it obvious that something grater and already known is happening again being clear.. her cheeks going red whenever I compliment her, her peace when she is beside me.

"Hey, don't get all sappy on me, yeah bro?." Rebeccas voice brings me back, a calm expression on her features.

"I hate to admit it, but.. you were right, Becs. I do have feelings for her." She grins as she brings her arms out, probably admiring herself for her ability to think something reasonable for once.

"As she has them for you, I'm sure of it. Just remember that her restrictive actions are being controlled by her mind, and the memories of that controlling motherfucker, whoever it was. Now, that very important step was almost taken, you have the woman in the palm of your hands, all you need is a little push to break through those walls. You have to gift her something." I raise a brow, her tone taking a cheerful turn.

"Like what exactly? I don't know if you haven't noticed, but she's not exactly into anything like us human do. Almost all conversations are lost on her except for work related ones.." She snaps her fingers, stoping me dead in my tracks.

"And you're seriously going to gift her a conversation? Wow, you definitely have the spirit of a 1800's grandpa in you. Don't be plain, go above this! I'm not talking of expensive gifts, something simple like.. flowers, a little necklace, walks around the city.. something that comes from you. Weren't you fully learning Greek all of the sudden? Practice even more and tell her something in her mother tongue! I'm sure that men back then had to win their ladies somehow, this is no exception." My mind goes back to that poem I like so much, sitting on my desk, funny enough waiting to be translated.

"Yeah.. I think I will follow your lead for the first time in my life. I only hope it doesn't backfire or I swear to the almighty above I will take you down with me." She smiles and gets up, grabbing my wrist and bringing me along to the bathroom mirror, my messy reflection disgusting me a little.

"If you wanna conquer the heart of the beast completely, you will have to fix yourself up. Style your hair, keep a beard low or nonexistent, as long as you entice her.. change your clothing style, for Jesus's sake, this is 2014 not 2003 to be dressing like an old man on retirement. Wear some suits, casual clothing, up your game. Put some cologne on, not to much though, that shit gives nausea. The point is.. make yourself handsome and presentable. You want to impress her, not scare her off." I look at her through the mirror with incredulity, her slightly small form on my left side.

"And how do you know all that a man needs to get a woman?." She pushes me slightly and scoffs, a saddened look on her face.

"One did all of that once, it was like seeing the personification of Eros." She walks off and leaves me alone, feeling impressed and guilty for bringing sad memories up when it wasn't my intention.

I stare at myself in the mirror, quietly looking over everything she said. I muster up courage to follow her directions, wanting to be beside the goddess in a closer way, one I never thought of even imagining.

Time to get the girl.