59 | 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐭𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧

We dock at the Peruvian hideout, William's frame outside standing alongside an even older man in a white coat, the assassin symbol etched in his left breast. I thank the heavens for keeping Deimos alive while gathering my few belongings, quickly walking over to my dazed lover.

She closes her eyes briefly as the sunlight hits her eyes after weeks with no access to the outside world. I grab her fingers loosely while walking alongside the stretcher, this one being carried off by the medics that took care of her since London. Rebecca follows along silently, walking over to Miles as soon as we touch steady ground.

"Did you find them? We need them ASAP Bill." He nods while motioning to the doctor.

"Yes, I relayed your petition to a group of scavengers, it took them a while, but they came back with enough to sustain a week and a half worth of curations." I let go of her and walk over to them, interjecting in the conversation.

"We need more than that. That wound won't close in a week." The doctor clears his throat, intervening my not even halfway sentence.

"Take her to the med bay. That wound won't close with herbs, they're useless. We have stronger resources than the Altaïr II will ever have. A quick check on her will reveal or confirm the infection as well as the gravity and the stage. Depending on these, we will order a steady income of weeks, even months worth of medication, whatever is necessary to raise the Goddess and our defenses again." We enter the med bay and I forcefully grab the shitty doctor by the arm, the man throwing daggers at me with his eyes.

"Oh, so you're bloody saying that we should play Russian Roulette with her life and extremely dangerous medications to see which of those will work for only five days—because that's how long they worked—, only to end up restarting the game to either find another thing, or simply watch her die. Every single medication, with every single dose imaginable and in every damn state of intake available has done absolutely nothing, mate. So unless you actually have some knowledge in medicine and not pretending to be a cheaper, dumber version of Hippocrates, then you should leave well enough alone, I don't need her dying from an overdose." Rebecca pulls me away as worry and anger makes me inch closer to the doctors face, having just about enough of playing random life cards with Deimos' life.

The doctors face grows red, angry about what I said about the Father of Medicine, whom he surely had to swear by the mans oath to keep patients alive, knowing very well that he's going against everything Hippocrates stood for.

"The amount of disrespect that you've—." William—who stands at the foot of Deimos' new resting place—shushes condescendingly the older man, a face of worry on his features as he looks down to the agony his subordinate is going through.

"He hasn't shown disrespect, because there's nothing to respect. Everything he said is true, we spoke of different methods to bring her back to her feet, and none of those words ever left your very being, doctor. If you want to kill someone, then simply take off that badge with our symbol, but know that you'll no longer be under the Creed's protection. Kill whomever you wish, but you will leave this daughter of mine alone. Marquéz, Kennedy; escort this man out of here, you have twenty four hours to think of an answer. Choose wisely." The mentioned assassins take the doctor forcefully out the room, a wide range of profanities leaving his lips on the way.

Everyone stays silent while William crouches to her level, grabbing and squeezing Deimos' forearm, a sad and thoughtful look coating him.

"I know Desmond would've beaten the man do death if he ever heard all of that, whatever it took to get you back on your feet. You and I haven't seen eye to eye on many things, but you and Desmond shared a silent passion for this world, a world that never saw or valued you for who you are. And that's enough for me to feel him close while you're here, because you hold a part of him. The world took away my son, but it gave me a daughter in return." He runs his hand delicately over her forehead, oddly similar to what he did with Desmond in his final moments.

Deimos sighs not being able to articulate anything because of the pain and exhaustion, but surely grateful that the man feels as such.

"Shaun, Rebecca; do more research on these herbs and other curative kinds. Everyone in here is instructed to follow their orders to the letter, one mishap and you're out. I'll order the scavenging team to ransack as many herbs as they can find, as well as for a shipment from North America. If this is what they used back then, who says we can't lay our trust in nature once again?. You have your orders, follow them." He lets go of her gently and walks out of the room, leaving all of us astonished.

Thank God we have William's protection and instructions, the man's hidden caring nature flourishing with the years thanks to Desmond's sacrifice and Deimos' presence.

How could he not thought? They're one and the same. Stubborn, strong willed, short tempered, insecure, laid back when left in peace. The only difference is the opposite sex, because even their names are similar, Desmond and Deimos, foretold siblings separated by the greed of a single person.

How much I wish for him to be here as well, holding his sister's hand.