27 | 𝐚𝐝𝐦𝐢𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧

I bounce my leg in anticipation, Gavin not contacting us as he said he would with pertinent information. Apparently, John has swirled around with the hackings to the point where he has been able to give a level three clearance to the Initiate, who has kept tabs on our Goddess and her health.

We have been waiting for videos that show what is happening behind our backs, but so far nothing but silence from Standish. I take a bite out of the bar of dark chocolate, my old anxious eating habits flourishing. Rebecca enters the room without knocking, making my heart almost stop.

"Sorry, but you should know that I sleep here too." She walks over to the opened computer and checks the assassins email—the Hephaestus Network—for any sign from either men.

"Nothing?." I ask, trying to calm my nerves by staring out the window, candy still in hand.

"Nope, apparently John's having a hard time uploading the videos, says that between the shitty internet and the constant nagging of Melanie on his ass, it's getting impossible." I sigh and run a had trough my dyed hair, the dark haired woman throwing a glance at me.

"She's gonna be fine, you know." I raise my head abruptly at her words.

"Excuse me? How can you be so damn calm, when their intentions are clear to the world? This plan got out of hand way too fast for my liking and here we are doing nothing to help her." She nods while tipping away, her concentration divided.

"Well, I'm calm because I know that she will come victorious out of this. She's a Goddess. She survived thousands of wars in her time, as well as the world burning." I grunt at her obliviousness.

"Maybe because she had the help of other gods, all of them in the field of battle. Also, the world burned but she was trapped in a temple, don't forget that. She's a Goddess, she's strong but not invincible." Her short memory makes me shake my head in denial.

"And if you know that, why are you so scared for her wellbeing?." I go to take another bit of the bar, but stop at her words, getting irritated.

"She's my friend. Our friend, and she's in immediate danger, yes she can take bloody care of herself, but we also play a part in this and that is to save her." I place the candy bar on the table beside me, hunger leaving my body as she manages to irritate me even more, the magic of Rebecca Crane.

She chuckles as she continues typing, shaking her head in the process.

"Or maybe because you have feelings for her." All sense of thought leave me as her words register, my heart stopping momentarily.

"Fuck off, Becs. No, I do not have feelings for a person who's lived a thousand years, and probably had billions of men behind her for marriage and whatnot. I simply care for her like I do for everyone else." I stand from the bed and walk over to the bathroom, washing my sticky hands.

"That's the thing, you don't give a blatant fuck about anybody, in a life or death situation, it's immediately an 'everyone for themselves' type of reaction. Yet here you are, obviously shitting yourself for not having news on our friend, who's a goddess, who you also angrily remarked about having 'billions' of men behind her when we don't even know her full past. In short, mister perfect, you have extremely obvious feelings for Deimos. I've seen the glances and your stares. I'm dumb, but I have my limits." I close the door and keep the faucet running, breathing heavily to calm myself from shoving a pillow down her throat.

My mind jumps to the day we got her out of the temple. How I was immediately fascinated at having a living Precursor with us. How I was slightly irritated that she knew of the world more than I ever will. How I was slightly mad—albeit grateful—when she would correct me on time stamps and events. When she agreed to share bits and pieces of her past. When Juno came to torment her and half of the group started to doubt her, and I was the only one to show compassion.

How grateful she's been in every conversation of ours ever since that day. How adorable that angry scowl looks when a stranger stares at her for too long. Her blue eye taking in every new sight of this new world, her hair as white as snow, her desire to become someone better...

I sigh in desperation, her missing figure in this room being heavily felt.

No, I don't have feelings for her, just admiration.