16 | 𝐫𝐞𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐫

It has been six days since the incident, the older man not even batting an eye toward my direction as the rest focus on their tasks. I look around the new part of the temple, which was unlocked from the key that Desmond and Hastings found in Manhattan.

Turns out that we just need two more to unlock the place in whole, and then, well.. the world lives. I run my fingers over the delicate glowing lines, the memories of home and the people I left behind resurfacing for the hundredth time.

"Testing your earpiece, Deimos. One, two, three, can you hear me?." The historians voice enters my right ear, the device he gave me for communication working properly.

I press the middle button to turn it on, speaking once I hear a small ding, just like Crane explained.

"I do, Hastings." He answers approvingly while a tiny snicker comes from another line.

"Damn Shaun, am I not invited?." Crane's voice comes through and I hear as Hastings sighs.

"Invited to what?." He asks, annoyance on his tone.

"The big day! She said 'I do'." Her laugh resonates to the point where I can hear it echoing around the temple, while he coughs uncontrollably.

"This is why no one likes you, Rebecca. Now kindly, fuck off." His voice disappears as well as her laughter, her joke not going over my head at all, since I once answered that kind of question.

I smile at their friendship as I turn off the device, their constant mocking being a momentary relief for the high tension in the group.

"You had that once." I turn at the sound of her voice, her figure startling me.

"You're not a recording, are you?." I ask as I take in her never changing figure.

"Never for you, old friend." She comes closer and stands in front of me, her small height still being as real as ever.

"It's good to see you again, Juno." I let my guard down as I take in her sight.

Her hologram is as vivid as ever as her black hair and white dress flow with her movements, hands clasped in her front and a loving smile on her lips. Just as I remember.

"It is ever honorable to be in you presence yet again, Goddess, after so many years." She bows in reverence.

"It's strange to be in your presence, the last time I saw you was when you left me in the temple. I was starting to believe this rencounter wouldn't happen." She chuckles at my words.

"I share your words, Goddess. I always knew this would happen, but I admit I sometimes thought this was a loss of time and resources." Her words strike a chord in me, making me remember when she shared the news.

"I will have to cut this short, my friend, but I need to know why did you kill Stillman?." My quick question catches her off guard.

"It was foretold and shared with you, if you kindly let me remind you." She walks a few steps back while explaining.

"Yes, it was foretold that only one would not be worthy, but it was not shared that you would take control over him. It was the Apple's job." I angrily state her smile faltering as I scold her.

"Forgive my intrusion, Goddess, it is true. However, I sensed terror and apprehension from the vessels part, and could not let centuries go to waste by simply letting her live. If I had not habited the artifact, he wouldn't have done his deed, and the Apple surely wouldn't have taken control, he's got too much dominion and knowledge on them for that to happen." She explains, making my scoff.

"Enough excuses, Juno. I can't believe that woman's blood is in my hands because of you." A look of incredulity covers her serene features.

"You 'stayed your blade', is that not a rule of this troublesome creed?." She turns her back, walking away.

"Yet you unsheathed yours, and you know better than anyone that we are all one, your doings are mine!." I scream, fury overcoming me quickly.

"So this means that Ares' death was Zeus' fault? Or Poseidon's? Athena's? You are quick to speak, Goddess, but quicker to forget the reasons why you came to stay behind in the first place." She vanishes as soon as she finishes.

My heart stills at her words, blood running cold. She had no business bringing this up. She has no business at anything.

She is my friend, but that does not give me tolerance to hold any of her games.

Oh, if only life was a game, how I would gladly start over.