29 | 𝐬𝐞𝐚 𝐨𝐟 𝐬𝐧𝐚𝐤𝐞𝐬

Deimos

Days turn to weeks. Weeks to months. And months to what feels like years. And no sign of the Assassins.

I wake up from another failed Animus session, the doctor in charge of this part of the project getting angrier by the second. She cusses in her native tongue, sadly unknown to me, and turns to a file in her desk, writing down how this new effort of drugging me to make my brain more vulnerable didn't work either.

I sigh in contempt, laughing mentally at their naiveness. I may not understand todays technology at the fullest, but I do know how to mess around with the equipment, enough to make the machine glitch out and desynchronize all my memories, rendering them useless.

She throws me out of the room with harsh words, I obey not wanting to hear her complain about another broken Animus. The guards start to escort me back to the cell, guns at the ready in their hands. I look down as I start to pass in front of various people, some of them whispering at my appearance, making me fully conscious and ashamed of my status.

My armor and weapons have been stripped from me, and their handling with this shock device on my neck has made me vulnerable to them, to the point where my human-Isu skin has fallen apart, leaving me to show my true body and nature.

Incredible to think that I once was ashamed of using human traits, and now I'm ashamed of my actual self.. how circumstances can change us.

Our progression is quickly stopped by a tall man, fit and robust to be the perfect soldier.

"Leave me with the goddess, I will take her from here." His thick accent—or probably his sour demeanor—scares off both guards, who immediately disappear from view.

"You again.." He nods and starts walking, I follow suit already knowing what will happen if I don't follow orders. The black burn mark from the shock chip on my neck being a painful reminder.

"How was it? Failed again?." I nod but then remember that I have to use my mouth to answer, these people liking verbal responses.

"Yes, as always." He hums and brings me to the elevator, I reluctantly stop in my tracks.

He turns once he's inside, and motions for me to follow, discreetly showing the unique button stacked among his fingers, a silent warning of what's to come. I cuss him in my mind and get in, the man using his communicator to access the ride, and quickly we start ascending.

As we are going to his desired floor, we pass momentarily through the lobby, the coffee stand now being occupied by someone else, my heart beats painfully at not seeing them there.

They left me..

I can't help but briefly think back to that day, the first and last time I would see them in who knows how long. I couldn't help but feel.. flustered and curious about Hastings. The brunette made a radical change in appearance to the point where I almost didn't recognize him, he had dyed his hair black, the color making his brown eyes grow a shade darker and his pale skin to get a shade lighter. It.. suits him.

The elevator dings as we arrive to the desired floor, the place bustling with life. I subconsciously take a step back and cross my arms, not remembering I don't have human attributes any longer. He sighs and takes off his jacket, placing it over my shoulders, I take the edges and hug myself tighter as I follow behind his broad frame.

I ignore everyone as much as I can and sigh as soon as his office doors close. Even though the doors are made of glass, I can't deny that I feel a sense of safety. Wherever I can find that in here I will take advantage of.

He sits in his chair and motions for the big couch at the other side of his office, as usual, I go and take a seat in the farthest, darkest corner, raising my legs and tucking them underneath me with slight fear.