65 | 𝐭𝐨 𝐛𝐮𝐫𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐚𝐬𝐭

Deimos

I turn for the thousand time in the last hour, giving my back to Shaun who sighs as I decline his touch, his cold fingers reminding me of the cold of his hand on my neck. He lays on me, his added weight making me sigh in contempt as a few bones in my spine pop ever so gently, pressure being release from them.

"Well look at that, someone's crunchy." He murmurs making me chuckle halfheartedly, his humor not being lost despite the circumstances.

His arms position themselves in a way to keep his full weight from me, while also giving his hands free reign to ghost over my arms, the delicate touch making goosebumps appear.

Delicate touch.

'Those that hug you with malicious intent, and even kiss you with venom on their lips.'

I close my eyes trying to make the memory of his voice fade, Shaun's touch and voice being more welcomed than the insulting fingers and sentences of the ancient God of War. I focus on the steady rhythm his heartbeat makes on my back, the fast and calm thuds reminding me that all he said was fake.

Everyone hugs me, and none of them have pulled a knife to my back. Everyone kisses me in their way, and I yet have to fall with poison running in my bloodstream.

A liar, it's what he's always been.

But what did it mean, within me? Beside me? How can I kill him if he's not even here, that was only his vivid shadow. Vivid. He was here, he possessed my body and killed a good amount of innocents, because it's all he ever did, kill and hurt those that didn't deserve it. Humans were his favorite target.

Memories. How to burn them? How will I retake the old fever dream of getting rid of everyone inside my head? With the years the want of forgetting has been placed in the back burner, but now I need to get away from them, or in worst of cases leave the Creed.

But how to leave the only people that have showed me that forgiveness and second chances exist? How to break a promise sealed with blood? How do you cut ties with the man you always longed to have without hurting him?. How? How?. How!?.

Desmond, if only you were here. By the end, you were an expert on going through all these emotions, yours and those that didn't belong to this time. I could do with your guidance for the first time, brother.

Well of course he was an expert, he was stuck to the Animus day and night, he lived, breathed and ate the history of his ancestors.

The Animus.. could it.. could it help me? Could it take away all the voices and emotions I don't wish to have? Will showing the Creed what I once was help them understand me, or will it condemn me even more?.

Will Shaun still want to look me in the eyes when he sees what I did? Will Rebecca insult me again as she did once already? Will I loose William's fatherly warmth? Will I be able to evade death again, or will this be my final countdown?.

I turn my right hand and open it from the tight fist, the raised and old scar of my promise being imprinted on my skin. What do I do?. Shauns hand obstructs my view, coming up and cupping my hand with his, slender fingers playing with mine.

I shouldn't worry, there's nothing to fear. Because I have a family, one that actually cares. I have Shaun, who heavens know I cherish for being so gentle and patient. I have Rebecca, who went from being an annoyance to the sister I always longed to have. And William, who after many years turned into the worried father I never had, showing me that no quarrel will ever stand in the way of him staying on peoples' good side.

I don't worry.

"Shaun?." He hums, giving me a peck on the shoulder. I take it as a sign to continue.

"Does the Animus still work?." I know the answer to this question, I'm simply trying to find a way to bring this up.