41 | 𝐟𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐥𝐲 𝐟𝐚𝐜𝐞𝐬

[play when prompted]

We reunite after twenty minutes, coming up empty handed on her search, Rebecca's eyes hold sadness compared to this morning, when she held nothing but positivity, the ninth search coming up empty handed.

I exhale and hot tears prickle my eyes, knowing this was a futile attempt of drawing us out and loosing our time. The goddess not being anywhere. I raise the map again and draw a black X over our location, only one marker being left.

"Now where to?." She asks, tiredness on her voice.

I slap the map against my legs and look at her, anger overtaking me.

"I can't believe you're so naive and incredulous, Crane! I told you she's not anywhere, that this is only for their gain to watch our movements and from what hole we come from, not her. But now they surely have wind of our faces, and locations. Thanks to you and this fucking fantasy, we can get the whole order compromised." She looks down at my words, obviously being too harsh, but I've had enough.

"Ten locations. Only one left. Ten places to choose from to hide, only one of them is where she is, I know it. Look, let's go to the next place, and if she's not there either.. then you can call me and say whatever the hell you want. But as long as I don't see the last place empty of life, I won't give up on my friend. Just like I know you won't give up on the woman you love." She snatches the map from my hands and walks away.

I sigh and start walking behind her, anger flaring up the fact that we won't find her. Bloody hell, we left her in Canada! How in the bloody bollocks did she get here?. I enter the car and get on the driver seat, the woman seating on the other side with the map open wide, her phone beside her.

"Last one's in the City of London district. Google says 'St. Dunstan Church Garden'." I nod and start the car, already knowing the way there.

Time Skip..

I turn the car off as the sight of the church ruins that stand a few feet away, slightly wandering how can she be hiding in a garden, unless it's somewhere in the area?.

Rebecca's already running off and I follow her, looking around to see that not many people are wandering around like always, probably thanks to the sudden rainy afternoon, this will facilitate her search. I stand beside my companion, her eyes fixed on both maps.

"Well, we're in the right spot, just gotta find a meaning to why this place out of many. Maybe the surrounding area? You know the place better, is there anywhere abandoned that can give a person shelter?." She turns to me, doubt in her features.

I think while looking around, not really coming up with an answer for myself.

"That building is more like a museum, so no chance. We have a still functioning church around the corner, not really a place of hiding. The skyscraper is out of question, impossible to access without permission. And obviously, this is a garden, the church itself is destroyed." She looks around, the structure being beautifully corroded by time.

"Was this church important back then?." I look around and wreck my brain for the information on the landmark.

"St. Dunstan-in-the-East was widely recurred in the year 1821 and onwards, being repaired for the last two centuries after the Great Fire of London in 1666. It was destroyed during the beginning of World War Two, and later used as makeshift bunker, until the oppressing forces took over and—." Gears start turning as my words come together.

She turns with wide eyes, having heard the brief history lesson.

"Underground." We say in unison, quickly running off towards what would've been the church's altar back then.