17 | 𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐫

I discard the bloody bandage from Desmond's forearm, a bullet having grazed him. We just came back from a country called Brazil, in search of another key that Hastings was able to locate and is now in our possession.

He thanks me as I apply a new gauze and allow him to put his jacket back on. He saunters back to the Animus and grabs the key, turning towards me.

"You should have the honor." I lift a brow at his words as he hands me the glowing part. Crane nodding behind him.

"He's right, none of this 'Pieces of Eden' stuff wouldn't have been properly understood if you weren't here. Just turn on your earpiece so we can hear if anything's wrong, the next door is pretty hidden." She incites as she crosses her arms.

I take the key and head on over to Desmond's explanation of the door. After a few parkour sets, I come face to face with the glowing table, inserting the key quickly in its spot, the holographic door glowing and another part of the temple coming to life, the last table for the remaining key waiting patiently.

A small click in the earpiece tells me that the others are listening.

"Done. There's a new part to explore, and I can see the last keyhole from here." Hastings hums and clicks away in his computer.

"And the hall on the other side of the wall is almost complete. Nice job, come back now, we have a lot more to uncover." Crane's voice comes through.

I hum in acknowledgment and go to turn off the microphone, but before I can raise my hand, the white clothed figure reappears.

"You know what is at the end of that hall. Yet you continue to aid these monstrosities of a species." She pits, her anger for the previous conversation not dwindling.

I sigh and look up, her face adorning a scowl.

"Well, these monstrosities worked alongside us for a long time. That I somehow return the favor is nothing." I cross my arms, defying her.

"They worked for us, it has always been this way! You are bringing our honor to rock bottom by mixing with them." Her worked up figure paces back and forth. I scoff.

"Don't forget that mixing with them also counts on the term 'fucking like rabbits', which you know well enough, Juno." If she were still real, her skin would brittle on anger by my words.

"Do not dare to bring him into this, he was Isu, pure and just!." I smile at her denial.

"Of course, right after you and Odin transferred his delusional mind to a synthetic body of our own. You and your messed up experiments.. ones that went behind Zeus' back, might I add." She is seething at this point as she turns harshly, her eyes as wide as cauldrons.

"Leave him out of this! The All-Father helped out of kindness." She wrings her hands, a nervous trait from the female.

"Out of kindness? Or because he saw you with one of his human residents and decided to avoid problems between the Aesir and Olympians? Which one is it?." She disappears as I finish, her explosive anger getting the best of her.

"Yet who caused the wrath of Ares and the Aesir-Olympian war? I was not careful, but you were reckless, claiming someone who was never yours. But your naiveness brought us to dying numbers before the sun could even burn enough. You won this end on your own, Deimos. Only you." Her voice resonates throughout all the temple, for everyone to hear.

I sigh and look to the ceiling, having now realize that the earpiece was on the whole time, plus, her with her ridiculous plan to speak around the place...

Not even in the vespers of my death can the past leave me alone.