Chapter sixty one

"This isn't good for you Will, sitting here staring at him when the doctors told us.."

She threw her palm up, forcing me to stop.

Her blue eyes were swollen red and arms scratchy from anxiety.

We'd been in this cold, white room for over four hours.

Just watching him.

"I know what they told us Shawn"

Her voice was hoarse, like how you sound when you've been drained of every emotion, when you're completely dry of vocalness.

They doctors told us, or Willow at least because she was his only live relative, that Toby slipped himself into a coma, he'd been taking under the counter pills for months and it just now hit him.

Coma..

Meaning there was no clue when he'd wake up and waiting here wasn't helping her cope.

"Just.." I leaned at the foot of his bed, resting a hand on her warm face as she chewed her finger nails.

Letting the pink bits of polish meet the tile floor.

"Just lets go back to my place and get some rest? Your driving yourself crazy staring at him"

Her eye brows furrowed and she didn't make eye contact with me.

"No"

"Please? I'm hungry and everyone knows hospital food taste like a two year old threw some ingredients together"

I was hoping to make her smile but she didn't budge.

"I'm not going home Shawn. If you want to, then go. My fathers laying in a god damn hospital bed with a monitor keeping him alive. I won't loose him like I lost my mom. Stop asking me"

She snapped, standing herself up and pushing the uncomfortable looking red chair towards the wall.

"Just because your dad walked out on you does not mean I'm going to let what little family I have left disappear"

As soon as she finished her skin grew pale.

She sunk her lips into her hands, shaking her head.

"I didn't mean that"

I tucked my hands in my pockets.

Not really knowing how to reply to something like that.

"You know what Willow? Deal with this shit on your own. I'm gone"

I turned, clicking my keys around my pointer finger and heading for the door.

"Shawn wait I'm sorry"

I left the room.

If she wanted to play this game, I'd play it.

This is what I get for trying to help someone huh?

"Sir, are you okay"? A nursed asked as my cheeks were flushed red and my fists were balled. I was speeding down the crowded hallway as if I was on some mission.

Seeing all the people in wheel chairs and on beds with machines, little kids with no hair and babies crying.

I wanted to cover my ears and scream.

Willows dad.

My dad.

My mom.

Our sisters.

Her past.

My past.

I was gonna explode.

"I'm fine" I spit, yanking the Malboro pack from my kahki pocket and grabbing the first free cancer stick before I even hit the outside.

"Sir, you can't smoke in here"

"Fuck off"