Chapter six

"He wants me to come over tonight and god only knows what we'll do." Ally smiled with a wink as we gathered our stuff at the end of first period.

"Nice." I tried to smile and stay focused on her words but I couldn't help but be drawn to curiosity on if Shawn would go through with studying today.

"Ugh. Gym glass. Yay." Al now rolled her eyes, swinging her bag over her shoulder and disappearing out the door. I pretend to be shoving a binder in my bag, really just wanting to wait for him to get up and move.

"Oh! Willow, I have a question." Mr.Winn ushered me over,

"Yeah."?

"Would you be willing to work on this project with Shawn? So he actually gets it done."

We both looked at him, he twirled his pencil, staring at the blank paper ahead of him.

"Of course."

"Thank you." I nodded and walked back to my desk, it occurred to me he wasn't gonna stand up and start the conversation so I took it upon myself to.

"Get up."

"Huh."? He looked up at me, his hazel eyes seeping through my body.

"Get up, let's go study."

"Not till lunch I thought." He bit his bottom lip, not looking away.

"I have study hall next, you obviously just sit here so let's go."

He waited a moment. Almost like he was searching for me to say 'never mind' or sink into a quiet shell.

But I didn't, and that's what suprised me most.

When I was away from this kid, he's all I Thought about and it terrified me but when I was with him, it was suddenly this outbreak of bravery and independence.

"Okay then." He crumpled the paper up in his hands, swung his bag on and we headed out.

~~~~~~

"So if X= 25 and Z= 56 then x plus Z minus pie is.."? I raised my eye brows as the grass tickled my palms.

"What pie again."?

"Shawn." We'd been over this at least 10 times, he laid on his back, staring up at the giant oak tree.

"Let's just skip this one.." I slid my finger down to #23, reading it out-loud.

"If Caryl eats twenty apple pies and each apple.."

"Stop."

He cut me off, laying a hand on the book with the questions.

"Shawn you need to.."

"Have you ever done anything fun."?

He completely ignored my remark.

I thought about the question for a moment, pushing away the motivation to get this done for him.

"Yeah I guess."

"It's a yes or no question."

He looked at me now, searching my face like I was a famous painting.

Suddenly I became insecure, praying the bruise wasn't noticeable.

"Well.. Yes."

"What have you done."?

"Shawn why does this matter." I pried on him. He bit his bottom lip, watching me get more and more self conscious.

"Because your innocent."

"Am not." I set the book in the grass beside me and plopped down on my back, not to close to him but not far.

"Have you ever drank"?

"Yep."

"Smoked."?

"What cigarettes? No, ew."

"The green stuff."

I hadn't, but it was almost like I didn't want him to know that. I wanted him to think I was something more than I was, cause let's face it. I wasn't much of anything.

"Yeah..."

"Let leave."

"What."? I sat up on my elbows now.

He jumped up quickly, grabbing his coat off the ground and brushing off his jeans.

"Let's leave, lunch is after this so we have another hour or so, let's get outta here."

He whipped some keys from his pants pocket.

I stood up, grabbing my sweater.

"Were not leaving, we'll get caught."

"See what I mean? Innocent." He started to walk towards the parking lot and even though I knew this was incredibly wrong, I felt obligated to follow.

"I'm not innocent."

I jogged after him.