Chapter two

Class went by in a whirl, I don't think I
paid attention to a word Mr. Winn said. My eyes craved the boy in back of class, his feet up on the desk well he leaned against the wall.

"Willow? Will you quit staring? It's really ovbious." Ally hit my arm, causing me to jult up.

"Who is he.." I whispered, brushing my hand over the markings on my paper.

"Don't tell me youv never heard of Shawn.." She chuckled, speaking lowly. I gave her a look, a clueless look.

"Are you sure You'v been going here sense Freshman year? Will that kids like the most popular at Thorton. He just never comes to school."

It wasn't shocking to me that I didn't know that. I left my school life at school, home was what I needed to focus on most.

"I didn't know.." She patted my shoulder and the bell rang loudly.

I stood up quickly, gathering my stuff.

"Math class here we come..." Ally huffed, shoving a binder in her bag and pulling out her phone.

"Look who decided to text." She shoved the screen in my face, Jason had texted her with a simple 'Hey'

"Nope." She spoke with anger. Clicking the home button and ignoring the greeting.

I pulled my own phone out, scrolling through while griping my books tightly under my left arm.

"Willow, stay a moment." Mr. Winn called as I began to head out the door after Ally.

"Shawn you too." I hadn't noticed he was still in the back. Biting on a pencil. Didn't leave his seat.

"I'm not going anywhere Winn." His voice was gentle, completely different from his appearance.

"Yeah."? I stood awkwardly, curious on why he asked me to stay.

"Listen, your passing this class with a strong 98. Shawn here.." He sighed, pointing to the figure feet away.

"Shawn's.. Not passing at all. He stays after my class on the days he decides to come to school so I can help him catch up on things but I.. I just don't have time." He ran his hands through his grey hair and slid them down his face.

I knew what he was going to ask me and for some odd reason it scared me to death.

"Could you touter him? Help him catch up on my class and others."? Mr. Winn had a flood of concern swimming in his eyes. I couldn't turn down the offer so I nodded.

"Shawn come here." The boy stood up, taking his time walking over. Once he was next to me my body almost wanted to magnify itself to him. But I also had this oddly afraid feeling to look him the eyes.

Of course id have to look up, he towered over me at a 6'2 stride.

Me at 5'6

"What's up."

"Mrs. Right here is willing to help you catch up. I assume you'll take the offer."? He looked at me. He looked at me and I looked at him.

We didn't speak for a moment, he searched my face and I wanted to curl in a ball and hide.

"Sure." Is all he said.

"Good. I'll write you a pass to start studying every lunch period outside starting tomorrow." My heart jumped a little.

"And Shawn." Mr. Winn pointed his pen.

"You better be at school."

With that, I left the class. My heart in my stomach. Why was it that I felt as if I couldn't control myself around this boy? I felt like a completely different person.

~~~~

"There you are! I thought I lost you in the mob." Ally spoke as I plopped down next to her in Math.

"Where were you."? I wasn't sure what to say. But I didn't want to tell her I was tutoring the mysterious boy people seemed to fuss about all around.

"Mr. Winn asked me a question... Anyway, let's get started huh."? I changed subjects. Pulling out my math homework.

~~~~

"Pen? P."? My eyes instantly searched the house as I entered. Throwing my bag on the counter.

No answer.

"Penelope."??? I called up the stairs.

Still no answer.

"Dad."? I peaked in the living room. He sat in the same spot as I left him. Except this time snoring, drool drizzling down his neck and multiple more beer cans piling up.

My heart started to race. I jogged up the stairs and opened her bedroom door.

"Penelope."?

"Yeah."! Sitting on her tiny bed with two barbies. She giggled. I let out a sigh of relief.

"Why didn't you answer when I called." I half smiled, walking over and plopping by her.

"I didn't hear you. I'm sorry Willow."

"Don't be. How was your day."? She shrugged.

"Daddy went to the store so I was home alone a long time but I was careful." I bent down to kiss her forehead.

"Good. Come downstairs, I brought you some food." She smiled brightly an followed.

It sickened me how he could go out and support his addiction but could care less about his daughter starving. It sickened me how he left her here, all alone. Everything about that man, sickened me.

"Here." I pulled a small pie rapped in aluminum from lunch out of my bag and set it in front of her. She clapped and opened it up, digging in.

"Thanks Will."

"Anything for you P."